The Potty Question~ lol

Looking for moms experianced with potty training boys please.

How did you know your son was ready? How did you go about it?

My son can tell me he poops and pees, but as far as actually going in the potty, its not happening. He is 20 months and I would like to get him started before two (at least started). Granted hes ready which I am not sure he is. Any advice would be great. Thanks!

Mother2oneboy

Asked by Mother2oneboy at 10:17 AM on Jan. 6, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• None of my boys were trained before 2 and a half .
    I started around 2 with each of them , all I have ever done for potty training my kids is to let them go without pants at all for 3-5 days, and at that point go to pants with underwear, there were accidents but within 2 weeks or so they were usually trained. , ask them every 45 minutes if they need to use the toilet and rewarded them with a sticker or small dollar store treat and make a huge deal out of successful toileting.
    We never used pullups or a potty after the first 2 kids just the regular toilet and underpants , I found it delayed the process and caused confusion.
    Meshell7

Answer by Meshell7 at 10:22 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• My little boy loved peeing in the potty to make bubbles! I would put a drop of dish soap in the potty so every time he peed he made bubbles. you can also make it a game to see if he can hit the cherrio.
    lovinmomto3

Answer by lovinmomto3 at 10:27 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Would you say it would be better for daddy to teach him how to go or no?
    Mother2oneboy

Answer by Mother2oneboy at 10:52 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• i agree with lovinmomof3
    DramaQueen1030

Answer by DramaQueen1030 at 11:04 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Mine's a girl but I can tell you that telling me she HAD gone was not a sign she was ready. There is a big difference between "oh gosh, that feels yucky and uncomfortable" and "oh my, I need to do that thing that makes me feel all yucky and uncomfortable afterwards". To us, the feelings are very much linked. To a toddler, they are totally separate.
    I really wanted to be started on the potty training road by 2. But my daughter just wasn't ready even though she could tell me that she had a dirty diaper. She wouldn't sit on the potty for more than 2 seconds for one. What was I supposed to do? Physically restrain her? Once she was willing to sit on the potty and had a vague understanding of what she was trying to do, we started. She was 27 months. My wish to have her started by 24 months was just that - my wish. It had nothing to do with her needs or her readiness to learn this big new task.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:44 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• I ended up having reading time on the potty at first, though we started when he was only about 18 months old so he was pretty young still, and then made a huge deal of it when he finally went potty on the toilet, probably by accident, but he caught on quickly. Once he was doing better with sitting down then he was all excited to try going potty standing up so then there was more incentive to do it. I'm the one home with him most of the time so I do most of the training, but it was always more exciting to "go potty like Daddy" when he is around to do it with him.
    Nicole813

Answer by Nicole813 at 9:15 PM on Jan. 6, 2009