How to stop a nose bleed?

My son is 4 and he had his adenoids taken out last July. His nose bled out of his left side from August til October when they finally stopped it. It just bled on that same side this morning for the first time. I take a tissue to it and pinch the middle of his nose but is there anything that might keep him from ever having nosebleeds to being with? Or is it just something he'll have to deal with for the rest of his life? He did get nosebleeds before his surgery too just once every few months or so.

aidansmom111804

Asked by aidansmom111804 at 10:27 AM on Jan. 6, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• To stop it as it's happening, I always give my son a paper towel and have him lie down until it stops. To stop them permanently, I don't know. I guess that would really depend on what causes it. If it is relatd to the surgery or some other medical condition, there might be something they can do to help the condition that would then help the nosebleeds. It could also be caused by dry air, blowing the nose too much, picking the nose, lots of other things. I guess the first thing you should do is talk to his ped and see if they can do anything to try to determine what is causing it. good luck!
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 10:34 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Our Daughter used to have HORRIBLE nose bleeds and we had to have her nose cotterized. A simple procedure and viola no more nose bleeds. Just do what you are doing and that should work, that's all we did. Only hers would go on for 30 min or better and soak all her clothing and bed sheets. I think we were buying new bedding for her weekly.
    happyathomemum

Answer by happyathomemum at 11:28 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• hi - i'm medically trained, and a preschool teacher, as well as a mother of 4 allergic, asthmatic kids. DO NOT have him tilt his head back. the blood can run down the back of his throat and into his stomach, causing all kinds of gastro-intestinal upset. use something at the nostril opening to catch the blood (tissue, paper towel...) while pinching the bridge of his nose (that's the part right between the eyes). many blood vessels run through there, and by pinching, you're providing direct pressure. for the whopper nose bleeds, take a small piece of gauze, paper towel, cotton ball, or whatever, and fold it fairly small. get it wet in the sink, and put it between his upper lip and gums, right in the front. the larger vessel run through there. again, direct pressure will work. we've had some doozies. this has ALWAYs worked for us. good luck!
    vickiathome

Answer by vickiathome at 12:36 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• I'm a nose bleeder.... small piece of toilet paper or tissue in my upper gum line always does the trick. Holding head back is horrid and feel like choking on blood. Also hold the bridge of the nose. When i learned of the tissue on upper gum line, it was amazing how fast they stopped!
    lynnard

Answer by lynnard at 2:20 PM on Jan. 6, 2009