my son has had tubes since march of 2008 and he has pus coming pout of his ear.. is this normal.. is it an infection?

before you tell me to call my dr i DID and i was given a voicemail and cant speak to anyone i have to wait for them to call to so i want adicve of what i can do to help a child with a possibke ear infection who has tubes thanks

JrsMommy07

Asked by JrsMommy07 at 10:36 AM on Jan. 6, 2009 in Health

• My little guy who is 18 months has had tubes in his ears since April and did had drainage a few weeks back. i called the doctor and he said that it was just the start of an infection and the tubes were doing their job by letting the gunk drain instead of sitting in the ear canal. We were given antibiotic ear drops and it cleared it up. Since you've called your doctor and you're waiting for a call back i wouldn't worry about taking him to the ER. If you don't hear back in a few hours maybe try calling back. If it continues or becomes bloody take him to urgent care.
    frapanda

Answer by frapanda at 11:11 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Yeah it is totaly normal. That is what the tubes are there for! My son had stuff all down his face one morning I totaly freaked! But the dr said that is why they put the tubes there. So all the stuff can drain and not get infected. The best I remeber they didn't put him on any antibiotics. The tubes were just doing there job. Good Luck.
    lovinmomto3

Answer by lovinmomto3 at 10:40 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Even with PE tubes, you may still develop an ear infection. Often this is associated with irritability and ear drainage. However, as long as the PE tube is functioning, the infections should be less severe and less frequent. If you suspect an ear infection please give your physician a call. You may need a course of oral antibiotics and eardrops.
    http://www.petube.org/LBW/handouts2.asp

Answer by gemgem at 10:42 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• i would personally go to an er if you cannot get doc.Pus is never normal and the tubes are in place to keep the ear canal free from infrction,not for drainage all the time.I would be afraid of an infection leading to deafness..Good luck.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 10:43 AM on Jan. 6, 2009