38 Weeks

I went to the doctor today and no change at all I am still 2 centemeters dilated and 50% effaced I also went last thursday but I was also the same 2 centemeters dilated and 50% effaced but still very long she had told me that the baby is still way up there is there something I can do to shorten my cervix and thin out I been walking everyday for hours and nothing has changed if you have any other suggestion please write back
Thank you

MommyG203

Asked by MommyG203 at 1:30 PM on Jul. 16, 2008 in Pregnancy

• My main advice is to relax. 38 weeks is only the BEGINNING of the 4 week period during which babies are commonly born. Any time between 38 - 42 weeks is perfectly safe and NORMAL! (Trust me, I know it's hard to wait when you want the baby to come; I've never had a baby before 41 weeks! But patience is key!)

Also, don't worry that you are only 2cm right now. Dilation can happen very quickly (in a day!) and you still have plenty of time.

Of course, I know you'll want to try to hurry things along anyway, so some of the best (that is, not harmful and could work) methods I know are walking, sex, and nipple stimulation. Sex always works for me. ;) (And, actually, oral sex is rarely mentioned, but the oral ingestion of sperm can help, too.) Just keep in mind that it won't work unless your body and the baby are ready for it to work.
    sioleabha

Answer by sioleabha at 2:04 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• There's a substance in semen that will help thin out a ripe cervix. Try having sex. :)
    CreativeSpirit

Answer by CreativeSpirit at 1:42 PM on Jul. 16, 2008