Do you own a house and rent it out?

I wanted to know if you own a house and rent it out because we rent and when we moved it they told us that it was quiet and clean blah blah blah! The guy upstairs is loud. He is single but i swear it sounds like he has 12 kids! we hear EVERYTHING. Him going to the bathroom, talking, walking, his music, his cell phone, and one day we even heard him fart. So the first week or so of living there we didnt have a couch so we used camping chairs and sat on the floor. We have a almost 3 year old who is potty trained but we smelt urine and we thought it was her..Well to find out we were laying on the carpet that smelt like urine. The lady who lived there before left her handicap son home alone and he had to pee in a jar and must have spilt it. They have been trying to get the smell out by cleaning it. It hasnt wrked. We have been there since Sept and feel like we should get a break on our rent 850..What do you think?

BallardMomma

Asked by BallardMomma at 10:43 AM on Jan. 6, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I would absolutely contact the city or state to see what type of laws are in place. I would ask them to replace the carpet and make sure you have documentation of the things that are wrong, take pictures etc. Keep track of when you contacted your landlords. Most people are fair and kind, but be careful, you don't want them to try to stick you with cleaning costs when you move out for things that should have been done when you moved in. I'm serious when I say keep documentation... you'll be surprised at how quickly people will back down when they realize you have done your due diligence. I've solved a lot of problems in my life by keeping journals and pictures. (It's much cheaper than a lawyer) Hopefully you won't need to go that far. Good Luck.
    chickadee8654

Answer by chickadee8654 at 10:48 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Yes, you should. I agree with the previous reply
    Apr1l

Answer by Apr1l at 10:56 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• I agree with the above posters and in your hellish situation try to find the humor...you witnessed a world record fart, lol. Good luck and just keep your records tight:)
    micrespo

Answer by micrespo at 11:06 AM on Jan. 6, 2009