How long should you breast feed?

How long should you breast feed? I would like to know what you all think is it ok to breast feed past the fist year.How long did you breast feed? what are your feeling on long tirm breastfeeding?

stayathomemama3

Asked by stayathomemama3 at 11:06 AM on Jan. 6, 2009 in General Parenting

• As long as a mom feels comfortable. If that is a day or 5 years none of my business just like when I formula fed it was no ones business.

Anonymous

• I think its a personal choice. I breastfed as long as I could which was only around 8 months. I wish I could have done it longer but I wasnt making enough milk to keep it up. If you are comfortable with it, your schedule allows for it, and the child is happy with it I dont see a problem.

Answer by gemgem at 11:08 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• I personally think anything past 18months is getting to be more about mom then baby.
    To each there own though i just would do it past 18months. Once they can come to you and ask they dont need it anymore.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:08 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• 8 months sounds like a good time to stop, I was only able to nurse with my first for 6 months.
    Apr1l

Answer by Apr1l at 11:10 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• I feel about a year is good. Each situation being different. Time tostopwhenthey start chewing and biting and not sucking.
    grandmomto3

Answer by grandmomto3 at 11:19 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• As long as you can...within reason that is. I breastfed till my Son was 2 1/2. My Daughter was only four months old when she refused to do it anymore.
    happyathomemum

Answer by happyathomemum at 11:33 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• The WHO recommends at the minimum, two years. I breastfed my daughter until she was 21 months old, she was ready to wean by then. It has been very rewarding for both of us. She is so healthy, and happy, and that was important to me. :) No matter what, I don't believe women should stop earlier than a year, if they don't have to, because then you just have to go to formula which isn't as good as breastmilk.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 11:41 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• I was determined to make it to a year and willing to go longer. My oldest stopped nursing just before age 1, with my youngest we made it past 18 months.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 12:15 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• 2 years is recommended. 1 year comes and goes so fast! My goal was 2 years and my son self weaned at almost 21 months. We would have nursed as long as both of us were comfortable doing it.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 12:16 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• I believe one should BF as long as one can and is comfortable with it. I stopped at 8 months due to issues that I was having.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 12:21 PM on Jan. 6, 2009