My 3 1/2 yr old is suddenly afraid in his room.

He has been sleeping in his room without trouble for a long time, and now suddenly is afraid whenever we leave the room. This results in him climbing in with us, and all of us losing sleep. (Plus we are TTC and this puts a kink in the works!!)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:19 AM on Jan. 6, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I found a great book: Let's Talk About Being Afraid (it's one in a series about emotions). My son loves reading this book and understands that being afraid is normal, sometimes we need to listen to ourselves when we're afraid, and that we need to talk about it, too. Things like noises in the room, or seeing things, can be talked through with kids to help them understand. Try reading the book with your kids and see if they can identify with him and help them talk through their fear. Sometimes, though, we have to remember that to the children, it is real...the fear anyways, if not the cause. It's never a good idea to dismiss it, but help them learn how to deal with it.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 9:35 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Our Daughter is the same way right now. She is six and will not go upstairs by herself. She just told us the other day that she sometimes feel like someone is up there with her even when we are all downstairs. She also says she feels something touching her hand in the night sometimes. I truly believe in all the paranormal stuff. I think children because of their innocense can often see and feel things that us as Adults cannot. You may think I am crazy and that's okay with me.
    happyathomemum

Answer by happyathomemum at 11:25 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Or maybe she could have just had a really bad dream and can't dismiss it. I use to have to go through the routine. Check closet, check under bed, in bathroom, ect. Then turn on about 3 night lights. But he finally did get over it.
    lovinmomto3

Answer by lovinmomto3 at 11:34 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Forgot the most important thing. I bought a 'special' dog. I told him he would protect him from ghost, bad dreams, ect. And he still sleeps with that dog today and he is almost 9. LOL.
    lovinmomto3

Answer by lovinmomto3 at 11:35 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• could it be he's faking? i'm a preschool teacher. a boy in my class was doing that to his folks... "i'm afraid to go into the garage to feed the dog" "i'm afraid to take a nap without the tv on" "i'm afraid to sleep by myself"... get the idea? Mom asked me if he exhibits the same fears at school & wants to know what to do. I asked her what's the reaction he gets from the parents when he's afraid. he's picked up, help, reassured, and doesn't have to do whatever he's "afraid" of. hmmm. his fears, which changed as needed, got him out of boring stuff, and got him into better stuff. in his case, he was just working the parents. good luck!
    vickiathome

Answer by vickiathome at 12:29 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• I've been through this stage a few times, what we tried was:
    -Night Lights, they do wonders especially if they're exciting! We got the girls barbie ones..
    -A special toy, we bought a 'guard dog' which could keep them safe at night.
    -Showing them that there was in fact nothing to be afraid of.
    -Moving them once they fell asleep in our room, when our eldest was that age he woke up in his room realised he'd spent the night and it was fine and after we did this a few times he just stayed in his room.
    HNK11

Answer by HNK11 at 1:10 PM on Jan. 6, 2009