I need help please!!!!!! im freaking out!

my baby is 5 months old and she has had a cough for about 4 days now and it is gradually getting worse. last night she was coughing so much she was gagging. I have been sucking her nose out with the bulb thing but it is constantly running and has had a little blood in it. I called her pedi and he said to just keep her elevated and keep her nose clear and get a vaporizer. i have done all of this and it doesnt seem to comfort her much. she also coughs while she is drinkin her bottle. it breaks my heart. any ideas on how to help confort her. i dont know what else to do. she doesnt couch much during the day but at night from about 6:30 on she is coughing up her lungs it seems like.

burtney0921

Asked by burtney0921 at 11:25 AM on Jan. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my baby had this when she was 2 weeks old. go to the store and get a saline spray, one spray to each nostril, and then immediatly suck it out! keep the vaporizer next to her crib in the night. you can also take a paper towel or napkin, and smear a little vicks on it and tuck it under her shirt by her nose. check her temp frequently too. there is also some vapor bath by johnson and johnson that works good too. good luck!
    Rebekahs_Mommy

Answer by Rebekahs_Mommy at 11:32 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• one, less milk and more water (formula or milk will keep her congested)
    two, my MIL used to tell me to lay my dd over me knee,cup my hand and pat her back (upper back) and it would break up all the flem and yes she might throw up but it will come out believe me....good luck
    shorty7452

Answer by shorty7452 at 11:34 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Sounds like an upper respiratory infection to me. My son used to get them all the time when he was a baby. You're doing everything I did. You just have to wait it out. But she might need antibiotics.
    GMR

Answer by GMR at 11:35 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• She might just be coughing on the liqud that is probably in her nose since she is laying down her on her side or back. But just keep cleaning out her nose with the bulb and keep the humidifer on and just hope for the best and she gets better. Cause my son is 9 months and I don't think I ever had that problem.
    mom-to-bee

Answer by mom-to-bee at 11:36 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• My son is 5 mths old as well and he had the same thing...I took him to the pedi and got a nebulizer. I did it every 4-6 hrs everyday for two weeks...The machine will help break up all that mucus so you will get more out when you suction and it will also keep the mucus from settling in her lungs. Oh, and about the vicks...you can put it on the bottom of her feet and put socks on her...Trust me this works wonders with the coughing and the mucus and it is less messy....hope this is helpful...
    peachkitten2

Answer by peachkitten2 at 11:41 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Keep her elevated, run a humidifier (cool mist or steam vapor) to help keep stuff moving.

Take her into the shower and steam her....loosen it up and suck it out.

At diaper changes, give her some Ayr (or other saline nose drops) to help keep things loose.

She needs to cough and run to get rid of the virus. You can give some Tylenol to help with discomfort.

Don't cut down on her formula...it doesn't make her more congested or keep her so. The molecules of the formula (or milk) adhere to the molecules of the mucous and seem to make it thicker. If that is her only form of nourishment, you canNOT let her go hungry!
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 11:43 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• When you're sucking her nose and getting blood out, it's probably because you are doing it too much. My doctor told me if you do too much her nose will get inflamed.
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 11:45 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• I have a friend who has been putting vicks on her kids feet and then socks over them. I haven't tried it yet, but she swears it is a miracle worker. You can also try folding up a towel and placing it under her crib mattress so her head is elevated a little when she sleeps. It helps my son to not cough as much at night.
    owensmom17

Answer by owensmom17 at 11:50 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Just a thought... she may have developed an allergy to the formula. I would take her int the dr's office asap and find out exactly what is going on.
    my4lads

Answer by my4lads at 12:09 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• If the chest (or back) is moist and is exposed to a little breeze or cold, it will make the cough worse. (I wouldn't wet baby's torso if cough is very bad.)

When warm air inside the lungs is cooled too fast it condenses and becomes liquid. The lungs try to expell it. Hence we cough until all the liquid is out. One way to get the liquid out faster is by rubbing Vicks on the chest and back to evaporate it. But this will not work so well if there is also mucus inside, which can work it's way into the lungs when the child sleeps.

You don't need antibiotics unless you know there is an infection. One possible sign of infection is green mucus. Clear mucus is generally good. Runny mucus is also good, but dealing with it will irritate the nose. And that may be the reason for the blood. (I would stop sucking it out.)

I think holding baby is best way to help her make it through.

Squirrelmommy

Answer by Squirrelmommy at 12:56 PM on Jan. 6, 2009