I think I have fibromyalgia....

I have every sign & symptom: all over body pain, fatigue, sleep apnea, IBS, Chronic Migraines, TMJ, Trigeminal Neuralgia, chest pain (pluresy), morning stiffness, numbness/tingling, muscle twitch, irritable bladder, feeling of swollen extremities, RLS, dry eyes/mouth, dizziness, sensitivities of skin, odors, noise, and lights.

Now, how do I get my doctor to help me?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:33 AM on Jan. 6, 2009 in Health

• i have it and it took me alot of doctors and alot of test to finally be diagnosed.the rheumaltologist did a bone dinsity test along with a pressure point test all over my body it does't hurt (the test) .I HURT ALL THE TIME BUT SOME DAYS ARE BETTER THEN OTHERS ,I WAS GIVEN LYRICA ALONG WITH OTHER MEDICINES .TRY NOT TO STRESS TOO MUCH CAUSE THAT CAN MAKE IT FLAIR UP IF YOU DO HAVE IT. IT IS VERY PAINFUL BUT I JUST HOPE SOME DAY THEY CAN COME UP WITH A CURE FOR IT I HAVE HAD IT FOR OVER 8 YEARS MAY YOU BE ABLE TO FIND SOME ONE TO HELP YOU AND TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF. ALSO I REALLY CRY ALOT BEAUSE THE PAIN IS SOMETIMES UNBEARABLE.
    summie321

Answer by summie321 at 10:01 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Alot of drs won't listen cause they don't like to diagnose fibromyalgia. Simply cause there is no test for it and often the only thing left to do is give narcotics to deal with pain. So they really don't like that diagnosis. So you will have to a couple of dif drs who will try to dismiss it and then when you finally find a dr who believes you there will be nothing they can do anyways. I hate that you will have to go through all of that. But my mom has it, and I am sure I do to. but there is really no need in getting diagnosed right now, cuase I do not want drugs, to run my life. And often that will happen you will begin to need them. So good luck to ya.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:43 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• There are some doctors who believe that fibromyalgia is bull hockey and will not treat. But for those who have this horrible disease they know it exsits and is real. The only way to diagnose a person with fibromyalgia is to "rule out" everything else. Once this is done most doctors will finally diagnose. If you have gone to your doctor and he/she is not willing to listen then I would switch doctors.

My sister has fibromyalgia and there are days where she is in the bed off/on due to pain and stiffness. She takes meds for it and it seems to really help. Best wishes.

Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 11:44 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Fibromyalgia is not a real disorder....it's a diagnosis given when nothing else can be found to be wrong
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:54 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Anon - you are not an MD so don't pass judgement without having the education to back it up.
    Anonymous

Hey anon-if you had this the disorder......I'm sure you wouldn't have posted such an unsympathetic statement! 

Anonymous

• My mom has fibromyalgia and the only way she could get it diagnosed was by a rheumatologist. Very specific labs are run and this disease is in the family with other autoimmune disorders such as rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, etc. It is real, trust yourself and don't let someone convince you that there is nothing wrong with you. There are meds other than narcotics for this and it is symptom treatable.
    hw1977

Answer by hw1977 at 5:11 PM on Jan. 6, 2009