Did you have your tubes tied?

We are expecting our "final" child and I've planned on getting my tubes tied since I'll aready be having a c-section. However, I've had several friends tell me that once they did it, they have terrible periods...cramps, bleeding, etc. I'm wondering what was the case in your situation and what you might recommend? Thanks.

nikinak

Asked by nikinak at 11:36 AM on Jan. 6, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I had my tubes tied after my 2nd child (16yrs ago). I had a vaginal delivery and then about 1hr later they took me back to have my surgery since I already had an epidural going. I have not had any problems since having them tied. My periods seem to be the same along with minor cramping (like usual).
    Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 11:40 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Yes it was the case with me as well. They say its something like 1 in 4 women but I have a feeling its more but alot of women just dont report it or complain because just about anyone I have met with their tubes tied has the same complaints. I get stronger cramps, worse pms and headaches then I did before.
    The only advice I can suggest is to pay attention to the paperwork they give you. It should describe in detail what you can expect. I had to get medication from my family Dr. for my cramps & headaches.

Answer by gemgem at 11:41 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Yep my tubes are tied,and all is well! Just make sure this is really your last baby,cause to reverse it cost a ton and could take years before you could bear anymore children because of a tubal litigation. I sometimes wish I could try for another girl I have 3 boys n only 1 girl and I had a miscarriage,and you cant have a tubal pregnancy they abort them immediatly,because it can kill you. As far as cramps go I felt fine after the surgery not much pain,and havent had too much as far as cramps go. Good Luck!
    MarGeee

Answer by MarGeee at 11:43 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• I don't and never will have my tubes tied. Its too permanent for me.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 11:50 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• I'd heard similar things, so I got an IUD instead of having my tubes tied. So far I've had minimal side effects (slightly heavier periods).
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 12:09 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• I told DH that when we decided that we were "done" it would be his turn. I endured two c-sections (or more), surely he can get snipped!
    pixiemom78

Answer by pixiemom78 at 12:14 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• I just had my 4th c-section December 23rd, and I got my tubes tied then. The recovery has been a little more painful, but not horrible, just more sore I guess. I haven't gotten a period yet so I will have to wait and see how that goes.
    lipstickclouds

Answer by lipstickclouds at 12:25 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• i got my tube tied and yes i have slightly heavier periods but its now more like a normal period, so i don't mind too much, but i used to have KILLER cramps and now not so much
    bi-polarmommy

Answer by bi-polarmommy at 12:44 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• I had mine tied right after a VB. I would have to agree with whaqt your friends have told you. I never had cramps or anything prior to but I have longer, heavier, VERY crampy periods now..Not sure if it is because of the tubal or not though.
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 12:52 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• I'm having mine in March. Since I've never been regular, dr said he'd put me on the mini pill to regulate my periods and attempt to make them lighter. If you've never been regular, ask if they'll do that...it'll give you extra protection.
    mom23boys679

Answer by mom23boys679 at 1:05 PM on Jan. 6, 2009