Lost milk supply

I haven't breastfed for 3 months. I lost my milk supply when I was trying to breastfeed. I miss breastfeeding. Is there any way that I can get my milk back?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:43 AM on Jan. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I saw an episode of TLC's Baby Story where a woman couldn't have a child so she and her husband found a surrogate. The woman still wanted to breast feed so she had her doctor prescribe her some hormones and after a lot of hard work she ended up lactating even though she had never been pregnant. Maybe you could talk to your doctor about something like that?
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 12:18 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• I know of some people who took lactating pills, but after three months i really don't think that would help...Maybe you should ask a doctor because they would be more experienced in answering that question
    peachkitten2

Answer by peachkitten2 at 12:07 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• You can eat oatmeal, take fenugreek, pump like crazy. I've read about it working for other women. Why do you think you lost your supply? Were you supplementing? Did baby never seem satisfied or maybe you weren't getting a lot of output with a pump? My son weaned 15 months ago and I haven't dried up yet. You might still have some in there too.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 12:14 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• That would be tough... but not impossible. The bigger issue, I think, would be that your baby probably won't want the breast milk any more. Once they get that formula, that's what they want -- at least in my experience.

I know that Dr's CAN give you something to produce milk. Remember that "pregnant man"? His wife --- who has had a hysterectomy even --- is breastfeeding the baby.... so I'd encourage you to ask a Dr. Pumping (dual-electric's work best) and Fenugreek --- that's what worked best for me when my supply was low.. but not sure if that'd be enough after 3 months.

G'luck to you!
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 12:17 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• The first step is to see if your baby will easily accept the breast. If so, then just nurse often, it will bring your supply back up. Pump when you can as well. Eat oatmeal. Take Fenugreek. Go to kellymom.com and check out the breastfeeding moms group on here.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 12:33 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• its' possiable but you wouldn't be able to get enought to satisify little one. nothing works as well as being pregnant. Makes you feel anybetter my little one just turned 4 months and I miss it too, but my milk supply only produced 4 oz so I had to stop after mined started drinking 5oz
    GJCJMomie

Answer by GJCJMomie at 12:34 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• OP here-I never really got a supply. After 2 weeks my baby had lost a lot of weight and my doctor and the lactation consultant told me I had to supplement. I fed him like crazy, pumped like crazy. I took fenugreek and I took a pill the doctor gave me. They said for some reason my body wouldn't make the milk on deman, it would instead make the milk beforehand and he would eat what it would make but my body wasn't being triggered to produce.
    Anonymous

• I will have to check into that hormone. Since he's been off breastmilk he has gotten sick alot.
    Anonymous

• You could also check into donated breast milk. :)
    MommaLucy

Answer by MommaLucy at 1:11 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Try doing the opposite of reasons why women loose milk supply.

Milk supply is lost if we don't get enough sleep, if we try to get too much done in short time, if we don't drink enough water, if we don't eat enough protein, if baby is not sucking or breast not being pumped every few hours.
    Squirrelmommy

Answer by Squirrelmommy at 1:51 PM on Jan. 6, 2009