This new law I have heard about consingment shops and thrift stores not allowed to sell clothes for children under 8. What have you heard?

I can only find one article about it, the La Times. Due to Lead being found in buttons and zippers, thrift stores and consingment shops are going to be fined up to $10,000 if they sell something that test positive for lead. This will be devistating in so many ways. I am trying to to panic!

crysann1974

Asked by crysann1974 at 11:50 AM on Jan. 6, 2009 in Shopping

• i have head that but i didnt hear about the lead part. i just heard that you cant buy or sell used items anymore. but not in my local area so im not really sure yet. ive been trying to fnd out more info though. but if you hear anything else you can contact me.
    xhellxfirex495

Answer by xhellxfirex495 at 11:53 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• I would do more research...it has not passed and is not active. I woudlnt' worry about it
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:55 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• I think it is actually 12 and under. I agree economy is going to feel all these thrift stores closing. But don't panic, we can still have a garage sale and go to them as well. At least they haven't taken those yet. Of course it prob won't be long before they do. I feel sorry for all the buisness owners casue most of them will have to close down. It is suppose to be outrageously high to test all of these clothes. So I guess bye, bye, second hand stores.
    lovinmomto3

Answer by lovinmomto3 at 11:55 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• I really think its only going to play a part in consignment shops and what not. They will have to test or have proof the item was bought in the US I think after 2004 or 2005. I dont see any state being able to mandate this law like for garage sales, ebay, craigslist etc. Can you imagine trying to police it? LMAO. Then again look its what we all get for voting in a congress that has done very little for us and would rather nanny us then fix the economy and do things for us. We dont need people telling us how to lead our lives.

Answer by gemgem at 11:55 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• I believe it goes into effect Feb 10. here is the site for the latimes. It will give you info.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-thrift2-2009jan02,0,2083247.story
    lovinmomto3

Answer by lovinmomto3 at 11:57 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• I'm more worried about the people who can only afford second hand clothing for their children. If all of these shops have to close, how are people going to dress their children?
    Rebecca7708

Answer by Rebecca7708 at 12:07 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• http://www.tampabays10.com/news/columnist/story.aspx?storyid=96355&catid=79

Consignment shops are in the clear...read that
    Anonymous

• http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h110-4040

Here's the actual bill...it's geared towards manufacturers...the media is blowing it way up
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 12:32 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Am I the only one who would find this to be a GOOD thing? People are trying to protect our children from dangers that are obviously there. The cost of items may go up due to the increased cost for testing but if it means the safety of my children I am ok with that. I personally had to deal with some of the toys issues with the major recalls a few years back, and try explaining to a 2 year old why her toys had to go away. If there's testing in the first place we wouldn't have to do that. And for those parents who have lost their children to lead poisoning, I'm sure they agree with this act too. Garage sales/Craigslist and Freecycle aren't part of this law (YET) so people in need can still find clothing available there.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 3:31 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• the law has not be passes yet, but to what i heard on another group all garage sales/yard sales, free clothing banks, craigslist and freecycle will have to test for lead before posting to give or sell to someone else. there is a petion going around against it. and it goes for all ages
    aidensmommy18_2

Answer by aidensmommy18_2 at 11:50 PM on Jan. 7, 2009