Should we reward the god parents for being god parents?

My daughter god mother says that I don't appreciate the things she does for my daughter. She wants me to give her gifts when she gives my daughter gifts. When she has car problems I am the only one she calls on. I take and pick her up from work, don't ask for gas money. I do LITTLE things for her. When she keeps my daughter I say thank you and I always show up on time. She made a comment that her long term friends always buys her Dooney & Burke purses and all kinds of expensive gifts. I am a single working mom and I just don't believe in expensive things especially if it costs more than my car payment..........Honest Opinion

mom42107

Asked by mom42107 at 11:50 AM on Jan. 6, 2009 in Entertainment

• are you KIDDING me? no way. you dont OWE her anything like that. to me SHE should just APPRECIATE that you gave her the opportunity to be your daughters god mother. But that does NOT come hand in hand with having to buy her gifts!!! thats obsurd.
    maybe her OTHER friends to that, and thats fine by all means if they can and want to fine, but that doesnt mean you have to buy her gifts. she should just appreciate you as a friend and your daughter as her god daughter. not expect gifts to be handed out.
    id tell her to shove it. its really rude she said that, she must have some HUGE balls!
    KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 11:53 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Uhm no. My dds godmother never expected anything from me and excuse me for saying she sounds selfish. Its an honor to be a god parent because you were chosen to play an important part in a childs life above other people. Tell her maybe she should go god parent their kids because youre a single mom trying to make it work and do what you can.

Answer by gemgem at 11:53 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• She is being absolutely ridiculous and she doesn't deserve to be part of your child's life. If she is your friend then she should know that in your situation, asking for that kind of stuff is just wrong. Does she realize that if you did buy her expensive things, that your daughter may have to go without something she needs? What kind of a person does something like this?
    Rebecca7708

Answer by Rebecca7708 at 12:00 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• No, she sounds like a selfish person
    Anonymous

• Etiquette dictates a thank-you note from your daughter for the gifts, not a gift in return from you.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 12:04 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• wow... if she only does those things because she expects stuff, then i wouldnt bring her your daughter anymore, muss less would i want that she will buy stuff for your daughter. sorry, but this woman is selfish as hell :( and im really sorry to hear that.
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 12:05 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Apparently your childs Godmother has no idea what that entails. I knoiw everything is a little different with each religion but basically the god parents responsibility is to ensure the child recieves proper reliogious instruction should the parent fail to do so, or should the parent die. Gifts are expected from god parents at christening, birthdays, christmas, confirmation..etc. Gifts from the goidchild are expected birthdays, mothers day, easter christmas. I think many people get asked to be god parents and have nonidea that they are pledging a lifelong committment to the child.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 12:09 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• you gave her the biggest gift ever....YOU MADE HER THE GODMOTHER...WHAT MORE DOES SHE WANT? can you trade her in? lol kidding...
    surpriseat41

Answer by surpriseat41 at 5:14 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• I buy my kids godparents gifts for everything, holidays, birthdays. But it's always from their godchild not from me. But for watching her for an hour or so? Nah that's just being greedy.
    Chrissy629

Answer by Chrissy629 at 5:27 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• wow greedy much...
    barefootbchbum

Answer by barefootbchbum at 6:14 PM on Jan. 6, 2009