I have a 20 month old son, who has recently found it hilarious to scream at the top of his matter where we are =) Any ideas on how to curb this or deal with it or do you think he will just outgrow it??? Any thoughts?

He is not mad...he just thinks it's funny. He is the youngest of 4...he has 3 older sisters.

Asked by frugalmomma at 2:51 PM on Jun. 19, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Oh man! My daughter is 20 months also and she does the same thing. And her scream is like so loud it hurts your ears. :op And not to mention in public it's SO embarrassing !! I don't know girl, maybe it's just a stage. Or they are thriving for attention. My daughter is the middle child.

Answer by TiffysBabies at 3:21 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I tell my son that we are going to leave the place (if it is in public), or I tell him that he will get a time out (he does not like it when no one pays attention to him - and he knows it) and when I give him a time out - he stops because he knows that he will be ignored again if he continues doing it.

Answer by Janette526 at 3:47 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Talk to them! Tell them that it is unexceptable! And, if they don't stop then put them into a time-out.

I was at a restaraunt the other day with my sister and her boy, who is 27 months. He thought it was hilarious to scream at the top of his lungs and my sister said I don't know how to get him to stop. I just looked at him and gave him a disapproving look and told him that it was unexceptable and we don't scream in a restaraunt. He immediately stopped and didn't do it again!

Answer by Strssdmom72 at 3:53 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Distraction? I know that with my youngest, when he starts screaming, he scrunches his eyes closed. At the store, I walk off. I completely ignore it (if I get far enough away, I'll hide somewhere that I can still see him). Sometimes the look works, 'cause he knows if he gets the look more than once, we're going to the bathroom for a spanken (I only swat once or twice, some moms say spanking isn't good- its different for every kid).

Answer by hallen08 at 4:21 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Does he think it is funny because he was laughed at when he first did it? It is a matter of re-wiring this belief. Remove him from the take him to the car. Give him a few minutes to calm down while you sit outside and file your nails or whatever...after a few minutes explain to him that he should not do that is disturbing to other people. He should understand that everytime he screams he will be brought back to the car for another time out. Hope it helps ..good luck

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 5:30 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Well it may be an attention getting ploy. I would try ignoring him when he does it. Because if he gets any reaction out of you he will keep doing in for the reaction. (Even if it is a bad one.) I know it sounds mean but that was the only thing that worked with my sister. We would put her in her bed and walk away. She wasn't allowed to come out until she quit. Eventually sitting in her bed by herself wasn't fun any more and she stopped. If you are in public and he does it I would have some punishment that he knows about ahead of time that he will get. Actually if it where my child I would pick a time when I could stay home for a few days and work on it intensively. But that won't work for some people.

Answer by firstimemom4049 at 5:50 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• If you are in a public place where he is disturbing others, you must get up and remove him from the situation at once, you need to be stern and let him know that you will not put up with it and that he needs to be considerate of others. You need to lay down the law and never laugh or encourage it under any circumstance or you will send a mixed message to him. You are going to ruin your night a few times, but it will be worth it in the end. Just make sure you let him know why you left and that you are disapointed with his behavior. In the end, you will be proud to take your son out. One day you will get a complement on how well behaved he is, and you will be so proud.

Answer by snugglebunney at 9:43 PM on Jun. 19, 2008