Electric Bill Assistance Question Don't Relpy if Judgemental SOUTH TEXAS AREA

I am looking for help with a very high for us electric bill. IT was $314.64 this month and we budgeted our normal $150 which we paid them and they originally said we could be set up for a deferred payment plan by paying the $150. But when I called back (got dc) they refused saying we hadn't had 90 days of service and to pay the remaining $164.64 before 1/30/09 or do without power and pay a huge deposit and reconnection fee. Currently our only income is disability and it won't come in before the deadline. Any agencies or other avenues of help you may know of would be greatly appreciated. And It took a lot of pride swallowing to reach out and ask for help so if your gonna bash please go somewhere else. My posting this non anonymously should be proof I have swallowed all the pride I had left.

Tygermommanikki

Asked by Tygermommanikki at 12:44 PM on Jan. 6, 2009 in Money & Work

• I went to one of the local churches yesterday and they are going to pay $80 of it on Friday. I called the electric company again today to tell them and got a very helpful rep this time. She said yes normally they have to follow company policy and not do a deferred payment plan till 90 days service but that when there is a provable medical necessity they can honor the deferment plans. And they are going to put the remaining $84.64 split on our next 3 bills.

Thank you everyone for not being judgmental and for your support and suggestions.

The medical necessity is my youngest son's asthma nebulizer. (yes I occasionally have to use it too when my rescue inhaler just won't work. And my oldest has to have it intermittently for congestion and sinus infections.
    Tygermommanikki

Answer by Tygermommanikki at 3:47 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• www.resourcehouse.com

You might try this website. It will tell you what is available in your local area....if anything. I wish you the best.
    Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 12:46 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Thank you for the referral but it just sent me to the Texas Health and Human Services Department and I had called them yesterday. They referred me to BCCA (Bee County Community Agency. BCCA informed me today there most likely be any funds for electrical assistance of my electric provider (First Choice Power) until February at the earliest.
    Tygermommanikki

Answer by Tygermommanikki at 12:52 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Oh, I'm sorry. :-( You would think that there would be some place else you could go for assistance. I'm not in your area so I'm not sure where to tell you to look. Hopefully, someone will reply with some great advise that could help you. Best wishes.
    Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 12:57 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• try this... http://www.helppayingutilitybills.com/html/texas_help_with_utility_bills_.html

I hope everything works out for you!
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 1:19 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Step outside and look for the tallest Catholic church steeple - start there. They will find away to help you, some how they always do.
    Works4Mom.com

Answer by Works4Mom.com at 1:51 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• You might try calling your local Seventh-Day Adventist church and ask them. In some places they have what they call a heat relief program to help people with high heating (or electricity) bills in the winter. You don't have to be a member to get this. Also if they don't have a program, contact the Mormons, (Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints). They have some programs to help those in need too. I've HEARD that Catholic Charities sometimes helps too, but I don't know for sure about them. I do know SDA and Mormons will if they have a program in your area, or they will try to direct you to someone who can help. They are a little bit different, but they are nice people and non-judgemental.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 1:52 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Thank you all for the suggestions so far keep them coming as I can use all the help I can get. I am fixing to go to a Catholic Church near my house and try there. If I can make arrangements to have my son picked up since his principal says he's not disabled enough for the dspecial ed bus (he was in TN but not here go figure) but that's another issue entirely.
    Tygermommanikki

Answer by Tygermommanikki at 1:59 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• some cites have programs that will help you....St Vincent DePaul society helps people who can't pay their utilites...check if you have one in your city...you don't have to be catholic to get help..
    Anonymous

• Well here's the most current update I went to the catholic church (1 of them in our town) and filled out an application. for assistance they have to do a home visit to verify I live where I say do and then they will let me know something.
    Tygermommanikki

Answer by Tygermommanikki at 3:26 PM on Jan. 6, 2009