pb&j

is 10 months too young give her pb&j?

mombug

Asked by mombug at 12:52 PM on Jan. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes. Wait till the age of two before giving it.
    Anonymous

• Technically, you're supposed to wait until at least one to give peanut butter.

I was given the "okay" by our pediatrician to give it at 9 months. They were on all table foods and we have no peanut allergies (or any food allergies, really) in the family. But if not given the okay from the doctor, I would have held off.

My cousin's son is allergic to peanuts...she said she found out because she rubbed some on his arm and he broke out in hives.....don't know that it's a reliable way to check....but that's what I have...LOL
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 12:55 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• I say the only way your going to find out if the child is allergic to peanuts is to give them peanuts.

Doctors say don't give your child peanut butter until age 2.

Answer by louise2 at 1:02 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• I say be safe and just give her a jelly sandwich for now.
    sbastille

Answer by sbastille at 1:04 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• My DIL said that they were told to hold off giving peanuts or peanut products because the sooner they are given the more chance of allergies to them. I know the allergy can be amazingly strong. There were peanut plants at work that someone had brought in to give to one of the office staff. One of the volunteers got hive just from having the plants nearby- not touching, and no peanuts on them.

Answer by Bmat at 1:06 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• I would wait until atleast 12 months old.
    MommaLucy

Answer by MommaLucy at 1:09 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• I talked to my pediatrician about this when my little guy turned one. He said to give a very small amount and keep a very close on him. He had any hives or a rash not to give anymore. He said not to put him down for a nap for at least 2 hours just to be safe. My little guy had peanut butter at 1 and was fine! He loves it. I would just talk to your pediatrician first. Peanut allergies are very serious and can be very very dangerous.
    frapanda

Answer by frapanda at 1:29 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• My doctor said no pb because it is a choking and allergy hazard. Peanutbutter can be hard to swallow and could pose a choking hazard, especially when combined with bread. I'd just wait to be safe.
    MommyJanelle

Answer by MommyJanelle at 1:29 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Like everyone said wait until your pedi gives you the green flag, especially if food allergies run in your family. Food allergies have increased dramatically over the years and peanut allergy is one of the most serious and " I think" the hardest to grow out of.

We gave my son egg and milk at 11 months and guess what he is still allergic now at age 6...bummer...
    J9Mommy

Answer by J9Mommy at 1:32 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• wait... also, pbj is not so healthy. so why start them on something bad? Try whole grain pasta, whole wheat bread in pieces, chicken, peas...
    lynnard

Answer by lynnard at 2:44 PM on Jan. 6, 2009