could this be a sign that i will have post-partum depression?

with my first son (during my pregnancy) i felt excited and well prepared for him to arrive. with this pregnancy i feel as though no one can replace my first born and i don't feel as prepared. i have most all of the things the baby will need but i just feel kind of bummed out. and not to mention worried about my stress level and how it's going to rise.

ashley8692

Asked by ashley8692 at 12:57 PM on Jan. 6, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Our identities change so many times in life and sometimes it's frightening when we aren't sure we can handle the change. I felt this way about being a new wife, a new mother, a mother of two, etc. But after a short while dealing with new responsibilities, I forgot what life was like before. Don't worry about this new baby replacing your firstborn. That's impossible. But you'll soon be delighted to discover that the new child will add his or her own special something that will also be irreplaceable! :)

What you're experiencing is not uncommon and doesn't mean that you will necessarily have problems with PPD. Be aware that PPD is very real and has differing degrees, but there IS help. I used natural progesterone cream to cope with mine and it made a huge difference. Read a lot about it , talk to your doctor about what to watch for, and solicit help from close friends and family should PPD be a problem for you
    TexaBamaBaby

Answer by TexaBamaBaby at 2:24 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• No. I think you should google though to know more about it and know what to look for.
    Anonymous

• Could be. My first son I was SO thrilled, and had the WORST PPD. Second time I was unhappy all the time, after he got here...I was on a total high and so happy. Weird how it worked out...
    mom23boys679

Answer by mom23boys679 at 1:04 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• No. You haven't had the baby yet. PPD is post baby. I think once you have the baby you will see that you can love both just the same
    Anonymous

• No. This happened with Brooke Shields and she wasn't depressed the second time. Maybe you can locate her book, or articles that she participated in. She is very vocal about bringing awareness to this problem. Good job in looking out for yourself! I believe you will be ok, but if you are experiencing any problems post delivery, don't wait to take care of it.
    Scimecamommy

Answer by Scimecamommy at 1:25 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• After the first baby you realize you are never ready for anything. But you will feel the love for the new baby when it comes. I was so in awe of my first, second and thirds. Everyday is a wonderful blessing with my four terrors. LOL.
    vsrillo

Answer by vsrillo at 1:30 PM on Jan. 6, 2009