If you are married, how do you file your taxes?

I have been married for 5 yrs now and I have claimed head of house hold for 5 yrs now my dh will do the same thing.....so I was just wondering how do yall file...do you put single (even though you are married) ,married filing jointly :head of house hold (even though yall are married and stay in the same house. And what do dh put on his ...or do yall file together?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:29 PM on Jan. 6, 2009 in Money & Work

• Only one can use head of household.
    Anonymous

• BTW, we file married jointly
    Anonymous

• If you are married and living together you should file either married filing jointly or married filing separate. You cannot lagally file as single or head of household if you are married and living together.
    Anonymous

• I think at some point that will come back around to bite you in the ass... You never get away with anything when the IRS is involved.
    Anonymous

• when married filing jointly the one who makes more money is listed as head of household.....just an FYI if you file married filing separatly..you will get less back so it's stupid to do it that way
    AustinsMommy306

Answer by AustinsMommy306 at 3:04 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• You can not be married and living together and file head of household. I have done extensive research on this as I am getting ready to get divorced. Only if you and your spouse is seperated and "considered unmarried" for AT LEAST 6 months. Your going to have this come back to bite you in the ass and you will owe the IRS an assload of money plus penalties and interest. I'll find the IRS guidelines and post them for those who think you can be married and file head of household. YOU CAN'T.
    Anonymous

• straight from IRS.GOV...
    http://www.irs.gov/publications/p501/ar02.html#en_US_publink100041781

Head of Household
    You may be able to file as head of household if you meet all the following requirements.

You are unmarried or “considered unmarried” on the last day of the year.

You paid more than half the cost of keeping up a home for the year.

A “qualifying person” lived with you in the home for more than half the year (except for temporary absences, such as school). However, if the “qualifying person” is your dependent parent, he or she does not have to live with you. See Special rule for parent , later, under Qualifying Person .

Anonymous

• con't.....

Considered Unmarried
    To qualify for head of household status, you must be either unmarried or considered unmarried on the last day of the year. You are considered unmarried on the last day of the tax year if you meet all the following tests.

You file a separate return (defined earlier under Joint Return After Separate Returns ).

You paid more than half the cost of keeping up your home for the tax year.

Your spouse did not live in your home during the last 6 months of the tax year. Your spouse is considered to live in your home even if he or she is temporarily absent due to special circumstances. See Temporary absences, later.

Anonymous

• OP your screwing with the IRS which is the one section of government I wouldn't mess with. They don't take stupidity as an excuse.
    Anonymous

• I don't believe you are allowed to do head of household if you are married. You must file either married filing joint or married filing separate.

And to answer your question, I file married filing joint. I am an accountant working towards my CPA so am ethically required to file my returns correctly. I would recommend you speak with an accountant for the proper treatment, any potential issues that may arrise, and the potential consequences. Chances are, you will not get into any trouble. The IRS is always looking for "bigger fish" so your return may not ever be flagged. Or you could be flagged and have 5 years of interst and penalties to deal with.
    Anonymous