Cloth Diapering? Help!

Some of you may or may not know but my husband has been unemployed since July of last year and still no job! We just found out on New Year's Eve that his unemployment ran out so we have no income now at all. Yes, my parents help but I don't know how much longer they can help as it's really becoming a burden to them.

What does it cost to get started in cloth diapering?

How many diapers do you think I should get?

Where do I get them?

What kind should I get?

Do you still have to use those diaper pins like when I was a kid way back when?

Does it really save you money in the long run?

How do you wash them?

Any other help/advice you can give?

Oh and if I got this route it would be for Fallon. Axl just turned 2 so I don't know if it would really be worth starting to cloth diaper him because he will be started on potty training soon.

jandyrodax

Asked by jandyrodax at 1:34 PM on Jan. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Google for diaper services.
    Anonymous

• It's estimated that by using cloth diapers you can save $2000 a year! I researched this when I was pregnant, but decided not to because of the ease of tossing out the diaper. There are several kinds of cloth diapers and some can be very expensive. The cheapest are the Gerber ones you can get at department stores, be sure to get the ones with extra padding, and rubber pants, you will also need pins for these. You could also check out e-bay, they have a ton of the more expensive brands for good deals. You may want to consider the thick training pants for your 2 year old if he is showing any signs of being ready, to save on that expense. I use the parents choice brand diapers from Wal-mart for my little guy they leak sometimes but only cost $11 for the large package. Sorry to hear about your hardships, I truley believe all things happen for a reason, and this too will work itself out. Good Luck!!
    prettyeyedmommy

Answer by prettyeyedmommy at 1:40 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Go to miracle diapers.com You apply to receive free diapers and wipes.
    mombug

Answer by mombug at 1:43 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• If you are looking to purchase, I'd check out etsy.com many moms make their own diapers and sell them there. Also, many cafemom members sell diapers and might be willing to give you a good deal, given your circumstances.

Most diapers now have snaps or velcro so pins are not normally used any longer.

I personally feel that using cloth diapers is better for your baby as they are not being exposed to the toxic chemicals that are in typical disposable diapers, its better for the environment and in the long run, is cheaper.
    MommaLucy

Answer by MommaLucy at 1:48 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• DOn't use a diaper service, it's much easier at home and you know what chemicals are used.

To start costs as much or as little as you'd like. I could easily start a new, full stash of the basics for less than $50(using prowraps seconds and prefolds) or you could go all out and buy 20 $20 diapers and spend $400. It's up to you. I always get about 10 covers and 2 dozen prefolds. The other stuff is all extra(I love my fuzzi buns but I buy from the second factory so I don't have to drop $18 a diaper, they only cost $12 there).
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 1:50 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• con't
    All of mine are ordered online. Message me for sites if you want some. You get what you feel would work best. You can use covers and prefolds, fitteds and covers, fitteds and wool, pocket diapers or all in ones. No more diaper pins. You can buy diapers with alpix(which is like velcro) or with snaps. SOme have ties but I've never used those. Or you could use snappis to hold them in place. You toss them in the washer and wash with about a tablespoon of soap. Too much causes build up. You'll have to work on your wash habits until you perfect them. Hard water, soft water, certain washing machines, etc. can effect the way you wash. CHeck out some of the CD groups on CM or look into diaper swappers to find others who CD and who can give you advice.
    Pauline3283

• If you have a washer and dryer at home, purchasing your own is the way to go. If you don't, a diaper service is a better route. Purchasing cloth dipes definitely saves money, but diaper services in my area are at least as expensive as using disposables.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 2:10 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• hi ya! i bought some all in one (aio) on ebay. also check out this blog!
    http://wahmspeak.blogspot.com/2007/12/cloth-diapers-for-low-income-families.html
    juspeachy

Answer by juspeachy at 11:33 PM on Jan. 6, 2009