I need breastfeeding help!!

I had my son 6 days ago and my milk hasn't come it yet. I nurse every 2-3 hours and my son seems to not be getting enough! He wants to eat constantly and for an hour at a time...sometimes more if I let him. I started pumping the colostrum to see how much he is getting and it is 1 oz out of each breast. So the Dr. told me to supplement with formula after he breastfeeds and acts like he wants more until my milk comes in and I can build up my milk supply. Once I started doing that...I noticed his poop has changed alittle runny and I think both is making his tummy upset. I don't know what to do...I almost want to give up on the breastfeeding but I really hate to! Advice??

kristinashley24

Asked by kristinashley24 at 1:46 PM on Jan. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I wouldn't supplement unless you have to...that usually makes the baby not want to accept the breast.

Try Mother's Milk tea and Fenugreek and eat oatmeal, to increase your supply. You can also get a prescription from your Dr. to increase your supply. Just keep nursing as much as you can.

I commend you for sticking with it....breastfeeding is one of the biggest gifts you can give your child, and in my opinion is much healthier, cheaper and more practical than formula.

If you need further support, check out the La Leche League(LLL), they will have people and resources to help you! :)
    MommaLucy

Answer by MommaLucy at 1:50 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Keep nursing, what he is doing sounds perfectly normal at that age. They are attached mostly all day for the first month or so. If you use formula it will hurt your supply especially this early on. Nursing is supply and demand so the less he gets from you the less you make. How are baby's diapers? As long as he's peeing and pooping he's getting milk. Call a lactaion consultant or your local la Leche League. Most doctors don't know much about breastfeeding.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 1:55 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• I understand your frustration, it took me a MONTH to get my son breastfeeding, and once he got started he ate every 2 hours for an hour, it is rough! You can do this if you are persistent, your baby will work down to nursing for shorter amounts of time. Don't count on pumping to be an accurate judge of your milk production, a pump simply isn't as affective as baby nursing. The best way to make sure baby is taking in enough milk is to have him weighed weekly or bi-weekly, if you have a local WIC office I am sure they'd be happy to do this, I had my son weighed weekly. If you need someone to talk to for support please feel free to message me!!!

dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 1:56 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Oh and one ounce from each breast is plenty. I've been nursing my son for almost 2 years and that is the most I've ever gotten(yet he was 24 pounds at 8 months with no solids at all). The pump is never an indication of supply and not everyone is able to produce for a pump.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 1:57 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• If you are pumping 1 oz, then congrats! Your baby is getting much more then that. Supplementation will only damage your supply at this point. Babies nurse often, and for long times. That's normal. It's how they teach your body how much milk they need. Just put your baby to the breast every time you think he needs nourishment or comfort. Let him nurse until he comes off the breast himself, and then you can offer the second breast. It's ok if he refuses the second. The only thing wrong here is that you received a bit of bad breastfeeding advice. Drop the formula. Nurse on demand. If you see 4-6 wet diapers a day, your baby is getting enough. Even if he's fussy. Even if he wants to nurse more. Nursing is not only about food, it is about comfort as well. Good job, and keep up the good work, and, I know, easier said then done, but worry less!
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 2:02 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Don't supplement, or if you have to, do it through an SNS (go ask the hospital for one).
    1 ounce out of each boob is actually FANTASTIC, and your baby gets a LOT more than you can pump.
    It's normal for a newborn to be nursing pretty much ALL day, all the time. He's trying to build up your supply, and anything you put in his mouth that's not your boob hurts your supply.

By the way... did you have a c-section? Or were you induced? Either of those can delay your milk coming in, or if pieces of the placenta got left behind, that can as well and that can actually be dangerous for you.

Get on the Le Leche League website and find a local group in your area, and call them. You can ask them anything you possibly can think of.
    RanaAurora

Answer by RanaAurora at 2:03 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Don't give up and I wouldn't supplement! Is there a lactation consultant at your hosptial or on the staff at your pediatrician? My little one ate constantly when she was first born and I thought she wasn't getting enough milk, but she was. As long as your babies weight hasn't declined rapidly, I'd keep bringing him/her to your breast. If you supplement with formula, then your milk isn't in demand as much as it should be. One oz on each side for someone just starting to pump is quite a lot, more than I get sometimes with my 6 month old. Pumping is not a good guide. I know breastfeeding is scary and hard at first, but the benefits outweigh it all. Keep trying and don't give up. And seriously, look for LC in your area, they helped me so much. One last thing, does your baby have a good latch?
    MommyJanelle

Answer by MommyJanelle at 2:13 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• in this case don't listen to your doctor, don't supplement just continue to nurse on demand everything he is doing right now is normal, shoot my son was almost permanently attached to me during his first month he was nursing about every half an hour to every hour for almost an hour each time, that's how they get your milk supply up so giving formula right now is probably the worse thing to do. just hang in there and keep nursing heck I would even start nursing every 2 hours, as long as he is having 6-8 soiled/wet diapers a day then he is fine. and it will get better trust me I have been EBF my son for almost 5 months now and they also told me when he was about a week old to supplement but I refused and he is fine a a big boy too!

hautemama83

Answer by hautemama83 at 2:19 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• 1. Don't give up. 2. Keep milk flow: Get good sleep, spend most of your time resting(cuz u just delivered), drink water, eat protein, nurse or pump every 2-4 hrs. 3. Your problems sound just like mine! two years ago. And we did wonderfully. Here's what I did: I ignored pple who told me I was crazy cuz baby lived attached to my breast. It took me a year of EXTRA sleep and generous, healthy, nutririous meals to recuperate my athletic body. And then I began to work out, but that's irrelevant.  My problem was that it was my first baby and my stressed out pregnancy caused problems into the delivery and postpartum.  4.  Google baby poop pics to compare. 5. Don't give up.  I always believed: "My breasts fill up every hour." at first because I was ignorant, but then it came true.  Persist.
    Squirrelmommy

Answer by Squirrelmommy at 2:45 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• I agree with every single response. Wonderful advice Ladies! I hope things improve for you poster.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 2:53 PM on Jan. 6, 2009