What do I tell her when...

The other day my two year old got out of the bath and I hadnt put panties on her yet but she wanted powder like her 7 month old sister so I put some on her then she started playing with her private. I didnt want to tell her no yuck cause then she may always think its a bad area and to never touch it however I didnt think she needed to be playing with it although she didnt really know what she was doing. So what do you tell your little girl in this situation. Thanks

QTMamma01

Asked by QTMamma01 at 1:50 PM on Jan. 6, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• That is perfectly normal. Explain to her that it is her private area and no one else except her, Mommy, Daddy and the doctor should ever touch or see there. Because of that, stress that it is important that if she is going to touch her private area, she needs to do it away from other people. That is my advice.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 1:54 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• I just told mine to stop and that she didnt need to do that. She's almost three now and when I catch her doing it from time to time I just say the same thing. Sometimes I joke and say if youre going to do that do it where no one can see you.....lol. But it can get tough to explain to toddlers why they shouldn't scrounge around down there. Hang in there momma!
    cherrygirl87

Answer by cherrygirl87 at 1:56 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• my daughter holds hers when she needs to go pee i just tell her not to touch it cause you can get an infection i dont want her doing it
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 1:57 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• I dont tell them anything other then not to do that in front of people.

Answer by gemgem at 1:59 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• You start calmly teaching her that this is something you do in private - just like when we get dressed or use the bathroom. You also teach her that she should wash her hands - just like when she is done using the bathroom.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:02 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Imagine having a boy....it's so much harder (no pun intended LOL) I tell DS to go to his room to do that and as kaycee14 said, calmly tell them to do it in private. It is natural, disturbing...but natural.
    Anonymous