what christian religion is right for me?

I was never really raised in a church but my family all very religious and i have always felt a connection with God but never really paid much attention. Now that i am getting older i am trying to figure out whats right and i feel i need a closer relationship with God and i would like to attend a church and get more involved with one but there are a million churches just in my city. I dont know the differance between the religions. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to start?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:53 PM on Jan. 6, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• once you find out what you relate most to you can look deeper into the close matches ... http://www.beliefnet.com/Entertainment/Quizzes/BeliefOMatic.aspx

Anonymous

• Start with God =) Message me if you'd like to talk =)
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 1:58 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• I agree with anon ---- beliefnet.com is a GREAT site with inbiased basic info on just about every religion out there. Should at least give you a starting point. You may discover you're not even Christian at all LOL -- that's what happened to me! Believing in God doesn't automatically make a person Christian.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 2:23 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• www.northpoint.org

This church is in Atlanta but it has partners all over. It's a non-denominational Christian church whose mission is to "lead people into a growing relationship with Jesus Christ". Why not look at the website and see if this is something you'd be comfortable with? It's a no-pressure environment designed for seekers and those with questions. Whatever you decide to do, I'm so happy for you. This is the journey of your lifetime!
    companygoddess

Answer by companygoddess at 2:26 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• I would suggest beginning with praying. ask God to reveal Himself to you in a way you would never have believed before. Many people spend days in prayer before this happens. I know I spent several days just asking Him to reveal Himself. I had always sorta believed. I had prayed that prayer which did nothing. When you meet Him your life will change, and He wil guide you where you are supposed to be.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 2:41 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• ok i am the one who posted this. i have taken the quiz and it says i should be a liberal protastant. I have read up about and it seems right. Does anyone else have any insight to this?
    Anonymous

• If you are a liberal protestant than you can try Presbyterian, Methodist, or even some Episcopal. You may have to try several to get a good fit. Forget about non-denominational, Baptist, Pentecostal, or Evangelicals. Those are the conservative ones.
    jaimie175

Answer by jaimie175 at 3:39 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• is there much of a difference between presbyterian, methodist, and episcopal? i am trying to google it and oddly they dont have a lot. Google usually has everything :)
    Anonymous

• There is a huge difference between religion and relationship in the Christian faith. I would encourage you to read the book of John and in there you will learn who God the Father is and how much He loves you. As you do this you will find that you will begin to build a relationship with the Father through Jesus Christ. Religion is bondage but relationship with Christ is not.
    It doesnt matter what denomination you belong to as much as your relationship with Christ is. I am not of any religion but a follower of Jesus Christ building a relationship with Him. I attend non denominational. The test you took I wouldnt lean towards the results to much but listen to what He says in your own heart and have Him lead you! Blessings on your journey with the King of Kings!
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 5:30 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• I'm just thinking of the ones we have here in town. I am Catholic but we do a pulpit exchange every year with those churches. I believe they have minor doctrinal differences that don't amount to much. The thing you must really look for is the tone of the particular church. If you are considered liberal you probably believe in social justice issues and need to find a church with outreach programs and stuff. Also it's a great way to meet new people. Good luck to you on your journey!
    jaimie175

Answer by jaimie175 at 6:07 PM on Jan. 6, 2009