Car seat for long-distance travel?

Does anyone have a recommendation for a car seat that works well on long-distance car trips? We are moving cross-country at the end of this month, and my 2 year old gets fidgety in hers after too long--her legs dangle over the edge and it makes her uncomfortable.

sariejack

Asked by sariejack at 2:02 PM on Jan. 6, 2009 in Travel

• Sorry I had just posted and put the wrong carseat up LOL. Here is the right one. This is what we use for my dd shes 4 and we travel cross country twice a year. Its bulky but comfortable for them. Which is all I think is important. http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2507896

Answer by gemgem at 2:11 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Why don't you just fill up the "knee room" in front of the seat with luggage so she can rest her feet on that? If your car seat is fine otherwise, you don't have to spend the extra $$$$.
    companygoddess

Answer by companygoddess at 2:22 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• We travel a lot and we have an awesome one...I just have to wait until my hubby gets home with the car to look and tell you what it is! It has very nice padding and it even has an adjustable/removable pillow for when they fall asleep. My son is 21 months old and does really great! (Hubby should be home around 4pm!!)

CarieP

Answer by CarieP at 2:25 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Oh yeah, we also put something that can easily be moved under his legs (usually when he is napping) with a blanket on top to make him comfy, and so his legs aren't always dangling.
    CarieP

Answer by CarieP at 2:29 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• My daughter has the one in the link below. We have had it for 4 years now and it's the best car seat ever. We've used it to drive from Washington to Texas and back twice. That's 3300 miles one way! The padding is so nice, the headrests are perfect, the arm rests are nice, and it has 3 RECLINING positions which makes it where their heads don't fall forward when they are sleeping. Also there is a removeable cup holder that is in perfect reach for them to put sippy cups and whatever in. Its the best and I would recommend it to anyone. Also it holds up to 100lbs so you would never have to buy another carseat. My daughter is almost 5 and its still perfect for her.

http://www.albeebaby.com/edbade3in1co1.html
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 3:54 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• dont know about the carseat but we took my 2 year old on a 20 hour road trip for x-mas. Here are some tips that saved us- 1) hit the road after baby goes to sleep- you can make great time without them getting fidgety and needing to stop every hour 2) get a portable DVD player- so worth it. 3) stop at big rest areas and get out and take a 20 minute walk.
    snoober_k

Answer by snoober_k at 6:20 PM on Jan. 6, 2009