how many words should my 1 year old be saying?

BabiezMama

Asked by BabiezMama at 2:15 PM on Jan. 6, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Probably zero to five. Mine pretty much said mama and dadda, but not necessarily meaning just me or my husband. It was more like chanting. My pediatrician said to expect 10 reall recognizable words by 18 months.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 2:18 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• it depends on the child each child goes at their own pace. my daughter is fourteen months and she says no,randa (miranda is her sister) dad,stinky,baby,boots,ice,cookie,juice,eye,nose. and i think she should be saying more. but it is all within what the child wants to do
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 2:18 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Ooops! I meant "real", not "reall"
    TweenAndTwinMom

• My daughter only said about 10 words or so when she turned 2. I think somewhere around 15 months or so she started saying momma, daddam kitty, and tickle...but that's it. Don't worry if your child isn't saying many words. They all develop at a different rate.

If your baby isn't starting to pick up on simple words like "juice, cup, or milk" by 2 then I'd worry.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 2:27 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• My dd has been in physical therapy since she was about a year old, since she wasn't even crawling yet. A speech pathologist also comes once in a while to check on her. This is what she told me: If your child can communicate with you, then it's ok if they're not talking. Does she understand what you're saying to her? My daughter is now 19 months old, and isn't saying much, but she can understand a lot and can also sign a bunch of things, and can shake her head yes or no.

If you're really worried about the communication, I'd suggest getting a baby sign language book and teaching her just the basic signs. They really helped me.
    weezer_cookie

Answer by weezer_cookie at 2:41 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Sign language.... love it! http://www.aslpro.com/cgi-bin/aslpro/aslpro.cgi
    lynnard

Answer by lynnard at 2:50 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• What do you mean by "1 year old"? There is a huge difference between a 12 month old and a 23 months old... but both are "1".
    A 12 month old may not be saying anything. Or may have 2 or 3 words.
    At the 18 months, the doctor will hope to see 10 to 20 words.
    At the 24 months, the doctor will hope to see 2 to 3 word phrases like "mo ooee" (more cookies).
    Some kids who don't reach these levels may be fine. Or they may need some help. Some kids will have far more than these. One isn't smarter than the other, just different.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 2:51 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• It also depends on what you mean by a "word". It is very common for kids to subsitutte sounds they CAN make for sounds they can't make yet - "wawe" instead of "water". They will also shorten words and leave out any sounds they can't make yet - "ooee" for "cookie" and "na" for "banana". Sometimes the word they use won't sound like the word you know at all - "dee" for "balloon". All that matters is that they make the same sound for the same thing every time and you come to know what they mean. That makes it a word. It doesn't matter if the clerk at the store can understand them - only that you can.
    kaycee14

• My 12 month old says " Mama, dada, baba, side (outside) bath, eat, thank you, please, gee (our cat) Quack quack, baby, hi, bye bye, car, and many 2 words together: my baby, my cousin, go side, hi mam, hi dada and etc
    tgladwell

Answer by tgladwell at 12:02 PM on May. 28, 2010