If you're agnostic-why answer?

If someone is asking a question about their religion...why do you feel the need to answer and say "I don't believe in God?" It's equally disrespectful for someone to answer your question with "Well God says..."

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:16 PM on Jan. 6, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I often wonder why they do it too. I think that many people are generally looking for a reason NOT to believe so they need to reiterate why they dont has often as possible so they can get back up or whatever for not being believers. If they are so sure about their beliefs I dont understand why they need to answer religious questions either. Its a mystery.

Answer by gemgem at 2:22 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• I agree. Door swings both ways.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 2:21 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Well, agnostics don't really believe nor disbelieve. Lots of them fell a connection with a higher entity, but just don't put labels on that. Lots of people who are agnostic also have extensive knowledge on world religions --- mainly because they've spent countless hours researching religions trying to find where they fit --- so they may have very valid information on that religion even if they don't subscribe to it themselves.

And sometimes people can relate to the questions asked even if they don't follow that specific religion... so maybe they feel they have something to offer or something to gain by participating in the conversation.

And yes... some of them might just want to be a butt-hole that day & stir up trouble :-) That door swings both ways as well.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 2:30 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• if someone asks my opinion i will tell them, but i dont just push it on someone.remember women love drama
    jbirchard

Answer by jbirchard at 2:33 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• First off... agnostics do believe in god. athiests don't.
    Second off... Many of us have knowledge beyond our religions. I am pagan. However I have not only read but studied the bible indepth for years. When I am answering a question I always make that known because the answer is usually based on my knowledge as well as my opinion. I am usually very clear on the difference. But I feel that the person asking should know why I am answering the way I am.

For example, if someone asks a christian spacific question like "did Jesus walk on water?" I'm going to do two things... Give you the scriptures where it is said and then give ou my view. But I always make sure you know the view isn't comming from a christian. I think that's fair.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:50 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Agnostics are undecided.

Main Entry:
    1ag·nos·tic Listen to the pronunciation of 1agnostic
    Pronunciation:
    \ag-ˈnäs-tik, əg-\
    Function:
    noun
    Etymology:
    Greek agnōstos unknown, unknowable, from a- + gnōstos known, from gignōskein to know — more at know
    Date:
    1869

1: a person who holds the view that any ultimate reality (as God) is unknown and probably unknowable ; broadly : one who is not committed to believing in either the existence or the nonexistence of God or a god
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 2:55 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• I am agnostic. I answer if I feel I have something to add to the conversation. I am not there to disrespect anyone, in many cases I try to keep my answer open-minded to the individuals needs. Even though I don't believe in God, I am capable of empathizing with another human and offering advice. I also have a lot of research and thought put into my position on faith. I may have come across information that is pertinent to their religious question. Or I may just happen to know the answer.. just because I am agnostic doesn't mean I can't speak, does it? :)

That said..If someone asks, "Do you believe Jesus is coming back?" in a public forum, they are going to get some people that will reply, "No, because I don't believe in Jesus." They asked - people answered. (Just an example)
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 3:00 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• unless it is a question directly saying to christians only to me it's open for discussion to EVERYONE...I've studied a few religions and I know some things that even Christians forget to think about sometimes when it comes to someone feeling down.. I don't bash on someone that is feeling down, and I don't push them by just saying... "oh god will do this"... sometimes a comment needs a better answer than "have faith"... Ex... a girl said someone in her family died... how does she deal... most people just say pray, blah blah... how about telling her the good points of your own religion... like god took that person from this earth to honor them for all the good that they have done.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 3:29 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• This is the religion and beliefs section isn't it? Just because someone doesn't believe in organized religion soesn't mean they don't have their own beliefs or are spiritual in their own way so what is the big deal if they answer a question.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 4:15 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Agnostics do not have an opinion either way on the subject of a higher being. Most agnostics aren't sure if they believe in God, they are the people who can clearly see both sides of the argument.

Athiests are the ones who don't believe there is a God.

Personally I am Agnostic. I want to believe, but I just am not convinced there is anything to believe in.
    Anonymous