how do i give my baby cereal

gumybear1122

Asked by gumybear1122 at 2:18 PM on Jan. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• with a spoon/ seriously alot of people say to put it in their bottle and i really don't prefer that method
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 2:20 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Mix it with an ounce or two of milk so that it is not too dry or too thick and then feed it from a spoon. More come back out than actually goes down, but practice makes perfect.
    AlliO2

Answer by AlliO2 at 2:20 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• And when I say milk, I mean breastmilk or formula, not whole milk. LOL Just wanted to clarify.
    AlliO2

Answer by AlliO2 at 2:21 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• you can use water too I do. the consistancy is what matters making sure its not too runny or too thick, and you should always give it with a spoon too its supposed to be bad to put it in there bottle
    hautemama83

Answer by hautemama83 at 2:23 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Set the baby in a seat, or hold him or her in your arm on your lap. Take a tiny bit of the cereal that you have mixed with the same milk or formula that you have been feeding, and open your mouth. Chances are the baby will mimic, then you put maybe a half teaspoon at most into the baby's mouth. If some slides out, you gently pull the spoon across the baby's mouth to clean it off and put the cereal back in. There are soft baby spoons, but, a regular spoon could be used, too. If the baby doesn' t mimic, then still open your mouth and slide a bit of the cereal into the baby's mouth, the baby will get the idea.

Answer by Bmat at 2:25 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• just mix it with breastfmilk, formula or water and make sure its not to thin or to thick and NEVER put it in there bottle only use a spoon to feed it to them.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 2:25 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• With a spoon. To start with, you make it really runny. Almost as runny as milk. But you use a spoon. Part of the point of early foods is to learn to eat from a spoon. Other reasons for early foods are to learn about different textures and tastes. All of her main nutrition will still come from milk.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 2:54 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• I used both the bottle and the spoon to start my child on it. I used it in the bottle because she threw up all the time and the Dr. thought that if i made the bottle thicker it would stay in her longer, but it didnt work, she has reflux which is common wite babys, but the spoon worked good too, it takes awhile for them to totally understand what is going on, but they get the hang of it, just hang in there with it. Also once they older, the taste may not be great to them, so try adding just a little bit of stage one applesauce baby food. I had my daughter on stage one foods, at 3 months, and was bottle broke at 9 months! I love it! Good luck!
    Madilynsmommy27

Answer by Madilynsmommy27 at 2:56 PM on Jan. 6, 2009