Pro Palestine but not Anti Semite?

How can you support Palestinians in their conflict with Israel and NOT be anti semitic? I mean anti semitic only in it's colloquial sense of anti Jewish, not the dictionary definition which includes Jews, Arabs, and several other peoples as of Semitic origin. How can you support a people who are categorically opposed to the existence of Israel without saying that you too believe that Israel should not exist?

eema.gray

Asked by eema.gray at 2:26 PM on Jan. 6, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• This is an interesting thought provoking question, imo. What I find interesting in people's views is their media outlet of choice. Some news stations report Israel as starting the bombing, while others report Hamas as beginning the bombing after the Dec 19 cease fire expiration.
    I am more curious to know what our President Elect will do in regards. He could potentially come out and make this situation better. I have reservations that he will, but it is a possibility. (afterall, anything is possible, right?)
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 2:42 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Well, I don't support either Palestine or Israel in this current conflict: I see both of them as unwilling to compromise, and I see both of them perpetrating things against one another that I don't support. However, I believe that is their governments that are doing these things, not the general population of either side.

So, I am not against the Jewish faith, the Jewish religion, or the right of Israel to exist. I am against both sides current political policies. That is the difference in my mind.
    Fiveofakind2

Answer by Fiveofakind2 at 2:43 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Isreal and the people of Israel creating a Jewish state was needed. I am also aware of what they did to the existing residents that were actions perpetrated on them with the Nazis. Does violence and the atrocities that were committed against them give them the right to commit violence on others? On the other hand it is also not equally right to have the Palestinians who are living there wage war. But the hate is now so deeply entrenched. The relationship is so complicated, the situation so complex - it cannot possibly be discussed in one thread or post. So while I abhor how Israel is reacting to the Palestinian threat - I still support the country of Israel. Perhaps if Israel had chosen different actions decades ago, and treated the Palestinians living in Israel with the same level of citizenship as Jewish Israelis...well it wouldn't be like this today. But there is no simple answer.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 2:55 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• frogdawg, you and I seldom agree on many issues but I 110% agree with you on this excellent post!
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 3:00 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• I'm not sure anyone not living the life they have and the religions they have will understand the years of conflict that cause this to perpetuate eternally. Because the United States has a long and deep friendship with Israel, I will side with Israel. Because Hamas is a terrorist based group I feel I must always go against it, and anything associated with Islamic based terrorism. Israel has finally had enough and had the raw power to put a significant dent in their actions. I say go Israel.
    akinbottom2

Answer by akinbottom2 at 3:53 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• To put things into perspective: If the Palestinians put down their weapons, there would be peace in the Middle East. If the Israelis put down their weapons, there would be no Israel. The Palestinians are committed to eradicating Israel...the converse is not so.
    Anonymous

• I'm anti-oppression which is what Israel is doing to the Palestinians.   In the same way that I was anti-apartheid but not  anti-white regarding South Africa.   

But labelling people anti-Semetic or racist, etc., is usually a good way to get people to back down from the opinions.  After all, nobody wants to be thought of as an anti-Semite or racist, especially went they are not one.  

Anonymous

• I'm anti-oppression which is what Israel is doing to the Palestinians. In the same way that I was anti-apartheid but not anti-white regarding South Africa.

To extend your argument, what then would you call Hamas launching rockets into Israel? A friendly hello?
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 4:08 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• I would call it fighting for their freedom. Not exactly the best method, of course. It's ineffective and gets used by Israeli propoganda to make the Palestinians look bad. But, if you were forced from your home and made to live in a ghetto with restricted access to food, water and medical supplies what would you do. What would you call your husband or your sons who fought back against your oppressors?
    Anonymous

• Then the Palestinians as a whole should rise up against Hamas, don't you think? Look at the West Bank. Since Hamas moved out, a secular government has taken control THAT IS *SUPPORTED* BY ISRAEL! Israel is essentially at peace with the West Bank.
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 4:16 PM on Jan. 6, 2009