Can anyone tell me about "strattera" and its effects on your child's adhd? thank you!

My son also has Dx of aspergers. He takes adderall and now we are going to try strattera. any info would be greatly appreciated. bad and/or good

kfiveLon

Asked by kfiveLon at 2:30 PM on Jan. 6, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My nephew had serious problems with it. Message me if you would like more info. It is too graphic to put here.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:39 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• it made my son worse, he started getting violent while taking it, and had horrible tantrums, i would not recommond it for anyone, but then i had only one experience with it
    bi-polarmommy

Answer by bi-polarmommy at 3:25 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• My son also has ADHD and was on Strattera for about two weeks. He had a really bad experience while on it. It made him a COMPLETE ZOMBIE. He would just sit there and stare into space and was totally unresponsiveto any conversation we would try to have with him. He reacted the same way when it came to TV WHICH WAS TOTALLY NOT HIM. I would do as much research as you can to find out more about it. And in no way am I saying that it's not the right medication for your son but just giving you some insight as to how my son reacted to it.

LovingParent08

Answer by LovingParent08 at 3:31 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• My son started on stratera when he was about 7. Wasn't a good drug for my son at the time. It caused him to lose his appetite and didn't really help him with his ADHD. He is now and Ritalin and doing just fine.
    robitob

Answer by robitob at 7:32 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• we have been on so many diffent meds... ugh we are now on vyvance and love it.. my son is no longer up until two am and eats so much better hey he may but on a pound or two lol but sorry we have not tried that! good luck
    melissadewitt01

Answer by melissadewitt01 at 12:56 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• My son is on concerta and strattera .He takes the strattera at bedtime .This helps him from getting too tired for the school day.His concerta is in the morning splitting them up helped keep is add/adhd under control while he is awake.He wakes up at 5:30 am and goes to bed at 9:00pm.He takes strattera at 7:00pm.I really have had no problems but every child is different.
    carebear2025

Answer by carebear2025 at 12:16 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• My son also has ADHD. He takes a time released Adderall capsule now, but he was on Sraterra for about two weeks. I hated it. He was worse and on top of that he was suicidal always talking about hurting himself and he dreamed of dying and said he was going to stab himself. Terrible outburts and violent temper tantrums.I wouldn't recommend it, I haven't anything but bad stuff about straterra.
    cbell77

Answer by cbell77 at 10:59 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• My son takes Ritalin. We tried Straterra a few years ago and had a bad experience. He took it at bedtime as prescribed. At 5:00 the next morning he was jumping off the walls. He literally went outside and played basketball at that hour. He could not sit still. I called the doctor and he said to (obviously) not take it again.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:51 PM on Jan. 13, 2009