How do i brake my four month old from being held all the time, without the crying? Because when she crys i cant help but to pick her up i know that dont help but this is my first and i dont really know what to do

Newmommy998

Asked by Newmommy998 at 2:40 PM on Jan. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Have you tried putting her in different kinds of seats....swings, bouncy chairs, jumpers, etc? Some babies like different things more than others. And make sure she has something to keep her occupied. Give her lots of toys or if you really need to get something done then try putting on a baby einstein video, but IMO you shouldn't let them watch for more than like 10-15 minutes at a time MAX.
    sbastille

Answer by sbastille at 2:42 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• I am pretty sure that I read/heard somewhere that they cannot be "spoiled" until around 6 months. So, she may just need some extra mommy time. :) I would suggest looking for a sling or wrap so that you can cuddle but still get mommy things done. HTH! :)
    sunnygrl2

Answer by sunnygrl2 at 2:43 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• What I do with my son is not pick him up until he's done crying. That doesnt' mean that I let him scream. I just comfort him while he's laying down, give him his binky, etc until he stops. Then I pick him up
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 2:45 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• I totally agree with Sunnygirl2. I work from home and my little one constantly wanted to be held. I started using my wrap and I can do about anything while wearing her. She eventually got her fix, because now she loves playing on her own at times. I'd just fulfill her need to be close to you, and as she gets older she will probably naturally get better being on her own!
    MommyJanelle

Answer by MommyJanelle at 2:47 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Toys are really good for this like an exersaucer or a playmat or gym, thats how I got my son outta the habit he still crys sometimes when he doesn't feel like doing anything else but being held but thats not very often, give her something to do to occupy herself if she crys a lil at first thats fine just give her some time to learn to "self soothe" and it will get better

hautemama83

Answer by hautemama83 at 2:48 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• I agree that at four months she just needs to be held. Enjoy her while she is so tiny. :)

Answer by Bmat at 3:01 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Hold her while you still can, lol! My dd was the same way and I finally had to break her of it at 9 months! My Dr. suggested putting her down with some toys and walking away for a minute and then coming back. Do it several times a day and extend the time away each day. At first you will need to walk away and maybe even talk to her from a different room, reminding her that she is ok and that you will be right back. Now granted she is 4 months old and she will never understand that. I would wait until she is a little older. If you are concerned because you can't get things done, then get a Snuggli and wear her. She wil grow out of it. :) They all do.
    MNMom247365

Answer by MNMom247365 at 3:07 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Hold your baby. That's all you need to do, is hold your baby.
    Anonymous

• At four months, your baby still needs the reassurance of mommy's presence--it is her primary psychological and emotional need at this age, just as milk is her primary physical need. "Breaking" her of that is ill-advised.
    EmeraldsMommy

Answer by EmeraldsMommy at 4:08 PM on Jan. 6, 2009