What are some tips for getting my 18-month old toddler to eat vegetables?

My son used to eat homemade baby food vegetables like crazy. Now, he won't touch veggies, except sweet potatoes and mashed potatoes. He'll eat just about any kind of meat, several fruits, any grain, but no veggies. Any tips or tricks?

laurenl79

Asked by laurenl79 at 2:44 PM on Jan. 6, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• This is what I do with my son...cucumber(Or any veggie)cookies!He thinks they are cookies and eats them like crazy!We use all veggies that you can cut up and looks like a cookie.He likes all but tomatoes:)
    tomsbrandi

Answer by tomsbrandi at 2:48 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• MY MIL bought me the book "Deceptively Delicious". It's great! It has a lot of recipes that have veggies in them, but your kids will never know! Check it out at amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/Deceptively-Delicious-Simple-Secrets-Eating/dp/0061251348/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1231271405&sr=8-8
    weezer_cookie

Answer by weezer_cookie at 2:50 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Have you tried frozen veggies versus canned? My DD will not eat any can veggies but loves the frozen mixed kind or fresh. She also enjoys going to the store and picking out what vegetables she wants for that nights dinner.
    maddiemygirl

Answer by maddiemygirl at 2:54 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• You just keep trying. My daughter LOVED the baby food veggies. But it took over 30 tries (over nearly 2 months) before she would try real ones.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:03 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Thanks for all the suggestions! I will continue to try to "hide" veggies in things, but I want him to love veggies as much as I do. I guess I will also just keep offering him vegetables & he may catch on. And the veggie cookie thing is a good idea. I can just see the look on his face when he bites into one of those "cookies." Hahaha!
    laurenl79

Answer by laurenl79 at 3:19 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• I don't recommend hiding, because they never get used to the veggies themselves.. does that make sense?

My dd wont touch broccoli plain but if I put a little Alfredo sauce over it, and make sure it's soft, she loves it. :) I don't say "eat your veggies", I say "how about some broccoli pasta"... and she seems to respond well with out me trying to deceive her into eating lol.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 3:48 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• I think hiding is a great way for them to get nutrients.

You can still introduce the veggies plain, but also do the hiding as well.

It's not a black and white issue, you can do both...
    weezer_cookie

Answer by weezer_cookie at 3:59 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Can you only offer veggies for one meal? Say at lunch, give carrots, corn and peas. That way, he can pick which veggies he eats. If he leaves some, so be it....at least he ate other veggies. Then at dinner you can offer the meat and potatoes with a veggie and try to get him to eat the veggie. if he doesn't. at least you know he had a good veggie meal at lunch.
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 4:26 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Use cheese sauce or ranch dips. I wouldn't hide them in things. Also if you give them a colorful plate of veggies they might like the colors. My son LOVES bell peppers...green, orange, yellow, red.
    MBsMom2004

Answer by MBsMom2004 at 12:17 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Also, make sure they see you eating them. A lot of times kids want to be like mommy or daddy.
    MBsMom2004

Answer by MBsMom2004 at 12:18 PM on Jan. 7, 2009