how to get my 6 yr old son to stop wetting the bed at night?

i have tried cutting him off of drinks an hour before he goes to bed. i have him use the restroom before he goes to bed. i have even tried getting up every hour or so and waking him up to use the restroom

Candulious

Asked by Candulious at 2:54 PM on Jan. 6, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I wet the bed til I was about 9 years old..I just stopped one night....put pul-ups on him...or even wake him up in the middle of the night and take him potty..get him use to going...worth a try....
    surpriseat41

Answer by surpriseat41 at 4:54 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• If there is family history of "bedwetter" at later age, then you should really worry as kids tend to out grow it. I have heard that (1 tsp) honey before works, but I haven't really tried as I tend to forget giving my son every night who is 8.
    Shakleema

Answer by Shakleema at 7:05 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• before bed
    Shakleema

Answer by Shakleema at 7:06 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• those pampers that make a cool feel when they do go to the bathroom.
    they work.
    Wytegirl

Answer by Wytegirl at 8:35 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• - Cut drinks off AFTER DINNER (maybe one or two small sips after brushing teeth)
    - Make sure he goes right before bed
    - Don't wake him up every hour! (How is he supposed to get any decent sleep that way?) Wake him up about midnight or one or so. (This will be tiring for you if you go to bed earlier too but will be worth it later once he doesn't wet anymore - trust me.)

After a month or two try to stop waking him up in the middle of the night - but keep with the no drinks after dinner and making him go before bed. You should have dry nights.

(Worked for us.)
    Anonymous

• My daughter is 5 and I had a couple of dry weeks. I thought that her bladder had finally grown or matured or whatever. The night before last, wet again. I have tried to wake her up at night to potty, but she was asleep and never knew that she was going. After a few midnight potty trips, she wet the bed when she heard my voice. I don't wake her up any longer. I think that they will have to grow up a little. I think that my kid's problem is that she sleeps so sound. For now, we are using a plastic mattress cover. I don't want to put pull ups on because that gives her the o.k. She went 2 weeks dry without pull ups, so I know that she is a little conscious about the bed wetting now.
    rosiesmom

Answer by rosiesmom at 12:09 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• If you are worried about just talk with the doctor just to be sure there is nothing medically going on with him. My son is 7 and he has the occasionally accident. He just sleeps so heavy. So we limit his drinking at night and make him go potty before bed and then i have a dog that gets up in the middle of the night so my husband will take him to go potty. It seems it must be a boy thing everyone of my friends that have a son have the same problem.
    Angela1436

Answer by Angela1436 at 11:14 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Take him to the doctor just to make sure everything is ok. My son had this same problem. His doctor put him on Desmopressin Acetate which a nasal solution that helps train the brain to be able to control your bladder. He took it for about 6 or 7 months and hasn't wet the bed now in 2 years. It works. Hope this helps.
    cbell77

Answer by cbell77 at 10:55 PM on Jan. 9, 2009