Alternating Tylenol and motrin

This is. Probably a stupid question... But dd got hurt and he doctor told me to give her Tylenol every 6 hours and motrin every 4. So does that mean she gets Tylenol the. Two hrs later motrin the. Tylenol again, or is it Tylenol wait six hours, motrin wait four hours and Tylenol? I tried to ask the doctor but he just told me to alternate them....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:55 PM on Oct. 29, 2011 in General Parenting

• Agh, no, motrin is a 6-8 hour med, tylenol is a 4-6 hour med. When alternating the 2, you go every 4 hours, period, so there's 8 hours between each dose of the same med. So if you give tylenol at 12 noon, motrin at 4, tylenol at 8, motrin at 12 midnight, tylenol at 4am, motrin at 8am. Every other drug every 4 hours. (Does that make sense? I hope so, but I'm so tired I'm not sure if someone else will understand it :S.)
    Anonymous

• You don't have to alternate. You can give each of them at the normal time that you would (Tylenol every 6 hours and Motrin every 4), and they will sometimes overlap together. I've had to do this many a time. The hospitals and doctors do it that way.
    mrsziemann

Answer by mrsziemann at 11:33 PM on Oct. 29, 2011

• You cannot give Motrin every 4 hours - read the label! It's every 6-8 hours! Tylenol is every 4-6! And when alternating, you can't follow the seperate dosages - it's every other med, every 4 hours - 8 hours between doses of Motrin, 8 hours between doses of Tylenol! Trust me, I have been on that alternation enough times in my life, enough times IN THE HOSPITAL, given it to my kids enough times PER DOCTOR'S INSTRUCTIONS! Like the first anon said - she has it right!
    Anonymous