What do you do when you lose a pet? Where do you take it?

I have a 13 year old Shih-Tzu, i have had him before i even got married and had kids. I know he is getting up there in age, and soon his time will come. As hard as it is to think about it, and i know it will be so hard on my kids, i know we have to deal with it. I know we can't afford a cemetary. We don't own a house, to be able to bury him in our back yard. So, when the time comes, what will i do? Do i call / take him to a vet? Or an animal control center? Please help. I have never been through the loss of a pet before.

WifeyandMom71

Asked by WifeyandMom71 at 3:00 PM on Jan. 6, 2009 in Pets

• I have a 3 year old Yorkie & the thought of losing him now or later kills me & brings me into tears. Hubby & I have decided that we're going to creamate him & place himon the mantel that way where ever we are he can be with us. He was our First baby & First Love we rather not leave him behind anywhere.

~*~Holli~*~
    MsWood729

Answer by MsWood729 at 4:33 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• The vet can make arrangements. Talk to your vet. I wonder if you have some friends that have a really big yard or who live in the country and could take the remains there and maybe even have a rock or something as a marker. We bury ours along the fence. It wouldn't work in an area near other houses or so forth because of regulations.

Answer by Bmat at 3:05 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• You could also talk to your vet about cremation options if you do want to keep him with you. I don't know the ages of your kids, but it may be easier on them to have a "funeral" for him, and if he was cremated, then you could do something nice like spread the ashes somewhere special. I have been throgh the loss of pets and its never easy.
    scrapbookmylife

Answer by scrapbookmylife at 3:28 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• I know how you feel I had a cat for 171/2 years and I lost her in 2002 I miss her so badly but I had to move on I then had two kids so I had to.

But as far as burying your pet it was hard for me to because the house we lived in then we were renting and had no choice but to bury her there. Now we live in a new location I tell my self when we die it is the spirit that counts not the flesh it will soon turn into the ground or ash if we decide to do that in the future so just make the best memories and go with it. Make your pet as happy as can be. Just take it day by day.

Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 3:33 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• My vet cremated my dogs when they died. We took them up there and they did the rest. It was like 30 dollars but this was like 10-13 years ago (didnt get to keep the ashes). Just call your vet and they can tell you what you need to do. i am sorry that your loved dog is getting up there in the years and its very hard to loose a pet.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 7:10 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Your vet will take him. And if you don't want a priv. cremation, they will hold onto him. There is a company that comes and picks them up every week and will be cremated with other pets. You'll pay a disposal fee. Sorry to put it that way, but that's what they call it.

Vet Tech-need advice?
    luvinher

Answer by luvinher at 10:23 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• When my cat died, my parents took her to the vet...........well she was in ICU there anyway, they had her cremated and put into a marble urn for me. Sounds crazy, but I too live in an apt, so burying her wasn't an option. My parents have had all of their pets cremated when they pass. I know, I know, it sounds morbid, but i'm glad my parents did that for me. It was sweet. Now she sits on the bookshelf! LOL!
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 10:27 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• When my Lucky, a Lab mix, developed hip dysplasia I took him to our animal control and they took care of putting him down. I kept his collar & plan on burying it this spring.(I lost him about 4 years ago and procrastinated until now) I cried like a baby and even now I cry writing about losing him. He was like one of my kids.
    WAganma56

Answer by WAganma56 at 4:09 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Thank you ladies for all your wonderful advice.
    WifeyandMom71

Answer by WifeyandMom71 at 9:42 AM on Jan. 7, 2009