spoiled and screaming

My 5 month old will scream and fuss if she is put down or left alone with her toys. How can I wean her off of the constant holding that I now realize was a mistake?

amber710

Asked by amber710 at 3:03 PM on Jan. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• A child who wants your love and affection is not spoiled. A child who yerns to be close to you isn't SPOILED. A spoiled child is one who is NOT given the love and affection they NEED. And yes, it is a NEED. An intense physical and emotional need. Children are spoiled when parents try to substitute this need with something ELSE, material things, food, whatever. Give her the love she NEEDS and stop minimizing it as a "want."
    Anonymous

• A 5-month old is not spoiled, I think she is trying to tell you what she needs. If you really need to do some chores, set her close to you and let her know you're there. Have you thought of getting a bouncer? That way they are close but the rocking motion is also soothing.
    Anonymous

• put her in the floor for tummy time, sit next to her for a few minutes then get up and wlk away if she fusses let her fuss but only for a couplke of minutes, every day increase the time she is left alone to entertain herself.....I too made this mistake with my son he is now 7 months and plays for a good 20 minutes alone then needs to be entertained y me for a few then goes back to playing by himself...I hog the toys so he doesnt like playing with me! lol.....
    Its tough in the begining...but trust me it will get better with time
    franklynnsmom

Answer by franklynnsmom at 3:07 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Holding your baby was not a mistake! She is just reacting to being left on her own. Try playing peek a boo with her. Use a blanket to hide behind. Slowly increase the time you "hide". Eventually she will realize mommy always comes back!

Momtocccd

Answer by Momtocccd at 3:07 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Most pediatricians agree that you cannot spoil a baby under 6 months. My little girl went through the same stage, and I carried her in a moby wrap. After some practice, there wasn't much I couldn't do without it on. Please go with your instincts from before, when you held her all the time. Despite what some people may tell you, you cannot spoil a baby. She is just trying to tell you that she needs you right now more than before, for whatever reason.
    MommyJanelle

Answer by MommyJanelle at 3:09 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Don't worry about a possible "mistake" of spoiling your baby. I tried to go by the book with my baby at first and felt like I was so hands-off trying to keep from "ruining" my baby. But I realize now that she is growing so fast and soon she won't want me to hold her so I am trying to hold her as much as I possibly can these days. I hold her when she cries, hold her to sleep, hold her to sing or read, etc. And I haven't noticed any problems from it. She plays well by herself when I can't play with her and she doesn't have any sleeping problems. She's just fine and I can't get enough of her. Cherish this time and don't stress about her being spoiled at this point. As far as getting things done, get a sling or carrier of some sort.
    flalbert

Answer by flalbert at 3:48 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• i agree with anon!
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 4:51 PM on Jan. 6, 2009