Need ideas on how to get my son to stop throwing his food off the high chair tray when he eats.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:10 PM on Jan. 6, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• LOL How old is he? Mine is 19 months and still does it.

Luckily I have two dogs who are more than willing to clean up after her.

Ever thought about adopting a dog? HAHAHA
    weezer_cookie

Answer by weezer_cookie at 3:11 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• toddler boyGive it to him little by little, I usually put it on his high chair tray. I'll watch until they are done then I still have a semi clean kitchen.

Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 3:17 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Let him know that the meal is over if he throws food. He'll still throw it to see just what you mean (if I only throw peas, does that count? what about mashed potatoes?). If you end the meal right then, he will quickly learn not to do it. He won't starve though he will be mad.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:25 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• We have that problem when he nears the end of the meal. I tell him no and that I will take it away if he does it again. If he does it again, we take it away.
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 4:23 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• I bought my 19 month old a pretty plate for Christmas that has a white rubber thingie that attaches to it so that it suctions to the high chair top. It is a HUGE pain though; an engineering degree is required to put the thing together.
    rcbrown

Answer by rcbrown at 4:38 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• I agree with all of the above--put very small amounts in front of the baby at first. That means put 2 or 3 cheerios there, not a handful.

And when the throwing starts, my DD gets one warning (Please, don't throw that again or mommy will take it away) and if she does it again, I follow through, and take it away.

As PP stated, Im glad I have a dog to clean up after her! Too bad he won't eat fruit though lol
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 5:26 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• My two year old does the same thing once he's full. He'll start tossing whatever is left overboard. I grab is hand in mid air and speak loudly (without yelling) and clearly and tell him to "Stop!, Don't do that, that's not nice." Or "Don't throw food, Mommy doesn't like that." Works for me too because my facial expressions are very animated. So when he began to realize that doing that upsets mommy, he stopped.
    Dmommy4

Answer by Dmommy4 at 5:48 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• All I can say is good luck. My 19 month old still does it. He thinks it's funny, and no amount of catching his arm mid-throw or telling him to stop is effective lol. I've tried taking it away, or b eing very animated, or hodling his arm for a minute to make a point that we don't throw things.. I do the same thing with toys too... and it makes ABSOLUTELY no difference. LOL He just laughs at me :(
    s.teph

Answer by s.teph at 6:17 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• We are having the same problem with our 19 month old daughter. We have started pulling her seat up to the table instead of using the tray. That has made a little bit of a difference! She starts to yell when she is finished, and will hold her plate or bowl out to let us know she is done. I agree though, you just need to keep telling him no, and take the stuff away. It might take awhile but they eventually catch on!
    abpfeffer2002

Answer by abpfeffer2002 at 7:40 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• One of my two year old twins has had the same problem off and on for the past six months. I've found the best thing to do is:
    1. Stay calm. He's looking for a reaction from you. If he sees he's not getting one, he'll stop.
    2. Have him get down from his seat, pick up the mess, and end the meal.
    3. Give him his food one bite at a time for a few nights.
    4. When he's eating well and not throwing food, praise him. Be specific! "Oh, you're eating so nicely" "Great table manners" "Thank you for keeping your food on your plate".

Knock on wood we've been on a good long stretch of not throwing food. I do have to remind him if he doesn't like/want to eat something to put it back on his plate. He's also gotten pretty good at passing his plate/silverware to me when he's finished so I take that as a sign and remove everything from in front of him so he's not tempted to start throwing.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 7:42 PM on Jan. 6, 2009