My son will be 15 months old in a few days and I was just wondering if anyone has any tips on breaking him from the pacifier, and what is a good age to start potty training?

LTLDEB

Asked by LTLDEB at 3:11 PM on Jan. 6, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• with the pacifier you just have to take it away it wil cause him to cry but probably no more then a day and then he will be fine. You can cut the tips of them so that they are useless to him and he may just give them up himself.
    as for potty training i would hold off on that hes only 15months most boys dont understand till atleast 2 more like 2 and a half. the best time to start I think is in the summer when they are wearing less clothes. Skip using pull ups during the day just use big boy underwear of course use pull ups at night.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 3:25 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• For the binky - just take them away.
    For the potty training - there is no "age". You can start anytime if you are willing to do all the work. Or you can wait until he is ready to learn the process and do most of the work himself - that's usually about 2.5 years.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:26 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• For the Binky:
    I slowly took my son's Binky away from him. First I would only give it to him at nap & bed time. Then after a week or so I would find them aroud the House & throw them away as I seen them. Finally when all of them were gone he just stop looking & asking for them.

For Potty Training:
    I introduce the potty to my son at 15 months old, he just turned 2 & is almost completely potty trained w/ exceptions to naps. I would say don't push it on him. Keep encourging him & telling him how much of a Big Boy he is. I didn't use treats w/ my son but I know others who have & it worked. For us my son just felt trapped in his diapers & hated to be wet. Well Good Luck =o)

~*~Holli~*~
    MsWood729

Answer by MsWood729 at 3:50 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• just take the pacifier away. thats what i did with my daughter. did it with the bottle too. she didnt fuss much
    kaitsmom06

Answer by kaitsmom06 at 4:41 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Take the paci away and wait for him to give you the signs when it's time to potty train. If you try to train when he isn't ready it will just take longer for him to get there and he may regress later. Truly when they are ready it shouldn't take months, it should take maybe a month.
    Anonymous

• Throw away all the binky's, no back ups, no stashes....tell him that other babies need them and he is a big boy now. The 3 day rule works wonders, it takes three days to overcome anything, bottle weening, binky weening, sleeping alone and most importantly don't give in, be firm!
    Potty training should wait, boys generally aren't fully interested until after 2 but usually before 3.
    amber1216

Answer by amber1216 at 6:14 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• my son is 2 and WILL NOT go to bed without his "bobo" he sleepwalks and will wake up disoriented and shrieking if he doesnt have it. thats the only time he uses it so for now its not a problem

hes also showing some, i use that word loosely, some interest in the potty. hes taking off his diaper and sitting but nothing comes out, he will even look at a magazine. i think he sees it as another toy. once he starts to recognize that he has a dirty diaper then we will start to really pursue the potty, because right now he doesnt care if he is wet or not
    learae

Answer by learae at 8:16 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• I did the cold turkey way when my boy turned 14 months, and since he was so attached to it like glue we both lost some good night sleep over it. first I would read one story after another until he falls a sleep in my lap, not alone with a pinky like before, it took me an hour to an hour and a half and he would wake up few times through the night looking for the pinky, in 3 or four night he forgot all about it, and I started to work on him falling asleep on his own in his crib after 2 or 3 story books.
    so you can do it you just have to prepare yourself for the battle ahead. BEST OF LUCK MAMA
    Shaima78

Answer by Shaima78 at 8:39 PM on Jan. 6, 2009