Should I give my baby a vitamin supplement?

I breast feed my 4 month old son, and at his 2 and 4 month dr. checkup's, his doctor told me to give him a vitamin supplement because breast milk isn't good enough for babies. Is this true? I just ignored him and don't want to give my son a supplement, but should I really? Please help, I don't want to listen to his doctor on this but am I not doing any good by not giving it to him?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:22 PM on Jan. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The only thing a breast fed baby might possibly need is Vitamin D. It sounds like you need a new pediatrician! I do not give my daughter vitamin D because I live in NM and there is plenty of sun in her environment. You could research that, but some pediatricians say it is not needed at all.
    MommyJanelle

Answer by MommyJanelle at 3:29 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• They are upping the Vitamin D recommendations but as long as YOU are eating fine, she is eating fine. If you are concerned, take one yourself.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:34 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• The only thing breastmilk is missing is Vitamin D. The doc was probably recommending the supplement because it contains vitamin D. Hopefully you just misunderstood him because I hope there isn't a doctor out there saying that breast milk isn't good enough for babies. I bought the drops for my daughter and honestly I haven't given them to her very often because they taste so bad. I make sure she gets outdoors frequently but it's hard this time of year. So with that information and maybe by doing a little research you can make an educated decision on what is best for your baby.
    flalbert

Answer by flalbert at 3:42 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• As others said it is probably the vitamin D supplement because breastmilk is lacking in that and the recomendations are getting higher for it. I have them and periodically give them to my daughter. Mine also has the flouride drops in it, because our city doesn't add it to our water, so both my daughters have the flouride drops.
    avpriddis

Answer by avpriddis at 3:49 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• I've heard about the vitamin d thing as well. I personally don't take vitamins or will offer them to my children because they are an artificial source which I don't believe is good for the human body because it doesn't get absorbed the same as natural sources. There are some other reasons, but I won't bore you. So don't offer your child a vitamin unless YOU think it's okay, don't do it just because a dr said so.
    julipickle

Answer by julipickle at 4:20 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Yeah, I'm sure he was meaning Vitamin D. I just asked my doc about this and I was worried he wasn't getting DHA because I don't eat seafood. She said my body still makes it? We do live in WA and the sun hardly ever shines so she did say we're probably all lacking vitamin d and it would be beneficial to give him drops. I am giving him zantac which is known to prevent iron absorption and so I make sure the vitamins I give has Iron in them. He hates them, but I'd rather that then him be anemic.
    britni11

Answer by britni11 at 4:37 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• no, your breastmilk is all baby needs.
    i would get a new doctor if i were you.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 4:50 PM on Jan. 6, 2009