At what temperature do you take your 6 month old to the doctor for his/her fever?

My 6 month old got her vaccinations yesterday, including the DTaP, which has a risk of giving them a fever. It also lists more serious side effects (ex. brain damage, coma...). I got worried when her fever hit 101.2 this afternoon, so I asked my sister what temperature her pediatrician told her to come it at, and she said 100.5 warranted a doctor's visit and 101.5 meant to take them to the ER. When I called my pediatric clinic, the nurse told me not to bring my child in until her temp was 102.5, not responding to Tylenol, and showing signs of climbing. I am curious if that is normal advice. We are military, so we have to deal with a Naval hospital and doctors. I feel like civial doctors wold be more concerned, whereas here they try to keep people out of the hospital as much as possible because it is overcrowded. What do you think?

Danielle720

Asked by Danielle720 at 3:33 PM on Jan. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son used to run a"regular fever" of 102.3 when he was little and sick and the Dr was never worried so there is no real harm in taking the nurses advice. If the temp is raising even after meds then call back and tell them you think she needs to be seen.
    Anonymous

• My dr has told me that 102 is when they need to be seen. But if it gets over 100 I start giving tylenol and calling the doctor.
    avpriddis

Answer by avpriddis at 3:41 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• 102.5 if it can't be controlled with Tylenol, we call the doctor....ours is civilian.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 3:50 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• I've always been told that it's not the temp, but baby's reaction that matters. So after about 2 months or 3, when anything over 100.5 is serious ... that's when you watch your child. If they are sluggish, tired, cranky, etc but temp is only 99, you should take to doc. If it's 102 but child is fine eating, drinking, happy, etc. just give tylenol and watch them to see if it comes down.
    Anonymous

• Actually the temp of 100.4 is for babies under 3 months.
    .

Our civillian doctor makes the decision on when we should go in or go to the ER. In the past it's been anything over 102.
    sammygrl77

Answer by sammygrl77 at 6:55 PM on Jan. 6, 2009