Does this sound like eczema?

A couple of weeks ago, my son developed a small patch of raised bumps on his elbow. After a few days, they seemed to "dry up" and now there is a bit of scaly skin where the rash used to be. Then, a few days later, another small patch appeared on the other side of the same elbow...with the same results. The rashes are isolated to that one elbow (there aren't any rashes anywhere else on his body), and it doesn't seem to be bothering him at all, so I am confused. My sister had eczema, and her rashes looked identical, but she used to go crazy scratching them, and they would spread to her face, arms, and legs.
My question is, can it still be eczema if it doesn't hurt, itch, or spread?? Oh, and one more thing... this has never happened to him before...doesn't eczema appear early? Can it just "happen" like this, out of the blue?

brandyj

Asked by brandyj at 3:33 PM on Jan. 6, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Yes it could and sounds like eczema, except the no itching part. Also it usually shows up early, but I got it when I was somewhere between 8and 10. It doesn't itch too bad in the early stages, but if you let it get too bad it will itch like crazy, at least that's how it's been for me. Eczema I believe just means chronically dry skin, so there are different forms and levels of itchyness. Good luck!
    avpriddis

Answer by avpriddis at 3:39 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• It sounds just like eczema. My child gets those dry patches and then I started using aquaphor or eucerin lotion and that has helped so much.
    Anonymous

• My son had eczema as a young child before it finally went away. His used to come and go like that as well. He never complained about it itching either. I would get something to put on him when he does break out with a rash, but seems like it's not too bad of a case.
    MamaChanny

Answer by MamaChanny at 4:24 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Thanks ladies! I was afraid to put anything on it, because I thought it would get worse or spread.
    brandyj

Answer by brandyj at 5:07 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Eczema is allergy related. I went through this with my daughter. It is actually the way skin reacts to an allergy. Just like runny noses are the noses way of expressing an allergy. you know its eczema for sure when lotion does nothing for it and when it gets wet, it looks awful and burns. What worked for us was Zyrtec and triamcinolone cream.
    hw1977

Answer by hw1977 at 5:21 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• I use Aveeno Baby soothing relief cream. Its fragrance free. My sons skin is so sensitive, we went to a pool and he just turned red.
    MBsMom2004

Answer by MBsMom2004 at 12:28 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Both of my kids had eczema as infants and I tried everything to relieve it. When my kids had a flare up it started as bumpy dry patches that eventually turned red, itched, oozed and crusted over.
    After trying many many products I finally found one that worked well. It's called Stelatopia bu Mustela, you can buy it at babycenter.com. They also make a great creamy body wash too as my kids are sensitive to most soaps. My son still gets dry patches occasionally and I just start using this stuff and it clears it up after a few days. It's kinda pricey though..it lasts long on a positive note, I've had the same bottle for a year. There are several reviews on the site if you want more info on it.
    deedee3849

Answer by deedee3849 at 9:25 PM on Jan. 7, 2009