Problems with my "night vision" while driving.

does anyone else have this problem? if i am just walking around at night i'm fine, but it seems when i drive the glare from the other cars is so horribly blinding that i can't see anything but the headlights for atleast 2-3 minutes after the car has passed. not to mention, things are a little blurry through the windsheild when i drive, such as street lights. i have always kind of had this problem which is why i don't drive at night, but the other night i did and since it had been so long, the problem seemed even worse. obviously i need to get my eyes checked, no doubt about that, but wondering if anyone else has this problem and what can possibly be done about it? other than this my vision is just fine. and i also got a headache the other night when i drove and i didn't even have to drive a full mile (just from my home to my daughter's school which is in walking distance... should've walked lol)

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 10:17 AM on Oct. 30, 2011 in Health

• I have the same problem, I try to avoid driving at night but if I have to, I will be extra careful....

Answer by older at 10:18 AM on Oct. 30, 2011

• I hear ya! it is scary!

Answer by older at 10:22 AM on Oct. 30, 2011

• I absolutely can no longer drive at night. If I remember right, my eye doctor told me there was a lens you could use that might help (so an extra pair of glasses).

I could be off the mark on that. Check with your eye doc to make sure
    Brawnwyn

Answer by Brawnwyn at 10:23 AM on Oct. 30, 2011

• These are actual glasses that you'd only wear at night, for driving. I believe he told me they would correct the problem completely because of the type of night blindness I had. So, you absolutely should check it out.
    Brawnwyn

Answer by Brawnwyn at 10:27 AM on Oct. 30, 2011

• Get your eyes checked and be sure to tell the dr. about your night vision difficulties. I used to wear amber colored sun glasses while driving at night because the on-coming headlights bothered me so much. They really helped but really you should talk to your eye dr.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 10:37 AM on Oct. 30, 2011

• My mom has the issue and was just told that she needs cataract (sp?) surgery. She went to two seperate doctors to make sure, and they both confirmed it...
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 10:38 AM on Oct. 30, 2011

• older- its too scary for me which is why i haven't done it. the only reason i drove to my daughter's school festival is because afterwards i was going to run to the store and buy some fruit for her party the following day. but it was so bad that i just went home after the festival and went to the store in the morning! :(
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 10:20 AM on Oct. 30, 2011

• i know my friend, who already wears glasses/contacts, said he has the same issue and he uses an eyedrop or sprays his glasses down with something that helps reduce glare. but since i don't have vision problems normally and don't need glasses/contacts, i wonder if it would work for me.
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 10:24 AM on Oct. 30, 2011

• oh god! i hope that's not my issue, i don't think i could ever get eye surgery. i have been permanently traumatized by it ever since my parents took me to the eye clinic with them when my dad had eye surgery, and in the waiting room on the television screen they showed the process of eye surgery.. the way they hold the lids back, and peel back each layer of the eye. no thank you! lol
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 10:39 AM on Oct. 30, 2011

• Yes, I have "night blindness" too. Do headlights & street lights look like giants stars to you? And, when there is hardly any light are you afraid because you can't determine distance? Seriously, interstate on & off ramps at night scare the hell out of me. I just try to avoid driving at night. And, if I have to, I only drive in well lit areas. If you don't already wear glasses then you'll probably need to get some for driving.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 2:32 PM on Oct. 30, 2011