breastfeeding till they are 5?

I was watching 20/20 the other night and some women in PA actually still breastfeeds her 5 yr old son. I couldnt believe it i mean seriously 5? Thats a bit much is there anyone else out there who actually go beyond 2?? I think even beyond 18months is a bit much.

Mommy2B04

Asked by Mommy2B04 at 4:05 PM on Jan. 6, 2009 in General Parenting

• Breast milk is best and it is a very touchy subject in this country for some crazy, odd reason. Around the world, the average age of weaning is 4 years old.
    hgibsonorc

Answer by hgibsonorc at 4:10 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• breastmilk is whats best for babies and the first year of life its not whats best for LIFE. Im sorry but IMO past 2 is to much. If your kid can ask for the boob verbally its gone to far. Phsycologically its got to be damaging.
    Anonymous

• It's not damaging or harmfull, this country has lost sight of what was considered normal before formula. Would I do it...most likely no, but it is personal and up to mother and child to decide when enough is enough.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 4:28 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• I agree with anon, when your kid can ask for the boob they are too old to breastfeed.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 4:29 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• But children can ask for the boob before they are a year old! And, I've heard as soon as they have teeth....but they get teeth around 4-5 months. It doesn't make sense. They're boobs are they were made to feed our children and yes, breast milk is best for babies AND toddlers.
    hgibsonorc

Answer by hgibsonorc at 4:36 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Actually he was 6 and I think age 2 is the limit
    Anonymous

• I too watched the 20/20 special and thought it being a little odd to breastfeed a 5 year old.  I breastfed all four of my children my twins I breastfed for sixteen months.  What works for one person may not work for another.  If my 5 year old needed comfort I would give them a cuddle not my breast. 

mommiedear

Answer by mommiedear at 4:43 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• It's not so weird in other countries. I think we Americans sexualize boobs so much that is why so many people freak out over breastfeeding. I personally would feel strange about a 5 year old breastfeeding but I don't think it is weird if you don't stop at 12-18 months either. They are boobs, they were made to feed kids....it's that simple. I wonder if for some countries they breastfeed their children so long because of food quality or food shortage. Something we american's know nothing of.
    Anonymous

• On Youtube there's a video of a woman who still breastfeeds her 8-year-old. I'm just speechless about that.

I'm all for breastfeeding up until about age 2 (both of my kids were breastfed until about 1 1/2), but beyond that, I don't really see the point. Where do you draw the line? I mean, is there anyone who thinks it would be okay for your teenager to be breastfeeding? I understand that breasts are primarily for feeding our young (not for sexual purposes), but come on!
    boystimes2

Answer by boystimes2 at 5:35 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• I personally would not go til 5, but I nursed my first until 15 months and my second is 2 1/2 years and still going. There is nothing wrong with extended breastfeeding. There are so many benefits to nursing that go well beyond 12 months.  The world wide average for weaing is between 5 and 7.  We in America sexualize breasts far to much and when they are used for what G\od gave them to us for it is thought of as horrible or worse gross.  I know it is not for everyone, but I would not change it for the world. 

Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 5:41 PM on Jan. 6, 2009