when should I potty train my son?

My son is a little over a year and a half. He sits on his potty whenever we go into the bathroom and talks to me. But thats with his clothes on. Whenever I set him on it without the diaper he just wants to get up and run around. I'm tired of changing diapers! lol so if anyone has a solution just let me know. Thanks!

DevonWmommy86

Asked by DevonWmommy86 at 4:18 PM on Jan. 6, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You could make a sticker chart, use his favorite character. Expalin to him that if he goes in the potty he will get a sticker. If he gets 10 stickers you will take him out for his favorite treat, ex. icecream. Don't push him too hard. He will figure it out, especialy if he is in daycare. He will notice the older kids going to the bathroom and he will want to be just like them. It took me FOREVER to potty train my daugher. She was like past 3 before she even started going #1 in the potty and #2 took another year. Like I said before, don't push him to hard. He will respond much faster if you are calm and excited! Good Luck
    JessieK79

Answer by JessieK79 at 4:27 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• my son is 2 and we just started. We started when he started telling us that he pooped or peed. Also we let him sit on the potty and do something like read a book, draw on a wipe off board, play with stickers just something so that he will sit there. If he goes he gets a sticker but I like JessieK79 idea about the 10 stickers and a treat I may try that.
    Aidansmom2728

Answer by Aidansmom2728 at 4:30 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• my little girl is a lil over two and still wont use the potty i try everything. she goes in the bath room with me but will never use it.
    kaitsmom06

Answer by kaitsmom06 at 4:40 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• i believe you will know when he's ready. 1.5 years is a little early. he doesn't understand his sphincter muscles and how to control them, etc. my dd is about to be 2 and she is just now showing interest in actually learning to potty (pulling of her diap, or letting us know she needs it changed, saying "potty" as she is going to the potty, and sitting on the toilet naked etc).

I don't believe in rushing, or forcing it on a child. It's been proven that not all kids are ready by two.. let alone earlier. Nor is there an expectation any more.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 4:44 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• My little girl did the same thing. I waited until she was willing to sit on the potty - that was 27 months.
    If you start now, you will have to find some way to keep him there. Some are willing to sit still for stories or songs, some aren't. If you try to force him to sit there, he will be in diapers far longer. You will have to take him at least every hour since he is too young to tell you when he needs to go. It takes a while for toddlers to make the connection between the "I've got to go" feeling and actually going. Then it takes months for them to be willing to stop playing and go on their own.
    OR
    You can wait until he is ready too.
    Either way, he'll be fully potty trained at about the same age - whatever age he is finally ready. You can put in months of effort and be proud you are starting or you can be lazy and wait. Your choice.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:00 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Oh, and I fully endorse the "lazy" option.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:01 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• My five year old son was going after 2 but before 3. His Dad simply took him into the bathroom with him everytime he had to go. The funniest thing happen one day right after I cleaned my bathroom. Dad took him in there and there was still some cleaning solution in the bowl when daddy peed, and it made bubbles. That just ticked my son pink! So since the potty was right next to the toilet, I started putting a little bit of bubble bath in to the potty, so when ever he went, he couldn't wait to "make bubbles". Number two took a bit more time, but the bubbles are a good start.
    Dmommy4

Answer by Dmommy4 at 5:55 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• OMGoodness, I just overcame this plateau and I am so excited to share my thoughts! My DS now 33 months started to show interest in the potty around 18 months as well and I thought it was going to take off easily, but I was so wrong! Then I found out I was pregnant when he was 27 months old and I immediately started to push potty training cause I refused to have two kids in diapers, well we all ended up getting really frusterated and he refused all of it. Cried to wear a diaper.
    amber1216

Answer by amber1216 at 6:05 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• continued...

So I let it go and up until recently he wouldn't do anything. The past month he just took to the potty all on his own, we would let him run around naked and he just started doing it.... he uses one pull up a day now, goes potty all the time and I can't keep him off the toilet or out of the bathroom somedays! LOL Basically you just have to be patient and let him do it on HIS terms, praise him when does go and just remember, most kids don't go to kindergarten in diapers......
    amber1216

• Boys typically potty train later than girls. My older ones were all potty trained around 3, showing interest around 2 or 2 1/2. I believe that's about average. My 17 mo is showing absolutely NO interest yet. :( As soon as he shows interest, encourage it with whatever works for you. The bubble idea is cute. My little one would try to play in it though. Or cheerios, sticker charts, small toys or special snacks.
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 7:17 PM on Jan. 6, 2009