Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

My dog drank some of my mop water

What do I do? Hes acting normal by more hyper than usal. Im freaking out I dont know hoe much he drank!

Answer Question
 
skinnyslokita

Asked by skinnyslokita at 11:29 AM on Oct. 31, 2011 in Pets

Level 31 (49,742 Credits)
Answers (12)
  • What was in it? I mean, just soap and water or was there bleach in it?
    Brawnwyn

    Answer by Brawnwyn at 11:33 AM on Oct. 31, 2011

  • Call your vet!
    SleepingBeautee

    Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:34 AM on Oct. 31, 2011

  • It depends what was in it and how high a concentration was in it. My dogs have also done this but suffered no health issues. Call the vet and I am sure they can tell you what to watch out for. I dont use very high concentrations of cleaning fluids in my mop water. Mostly a little bleach and a little cleanser.
    gemgem

    Answer by gemgem at 11:37 AM on Oct. 31, 2011

  • Chances are he will be fine. The concentration probably wasnt enough to hurt him. And he probable didnt drink to terrible much since you were probaly close by mopping. It is amazing the things dogs can eat and not get sick. Just to ease your comfort call tyhe vet or even poison control (i did that one time when my dog cot into something) and ask them what the danger is. They will usually shows signs of sickness or upset stomach pretty soon if they are going to get sick. Good Luck
    jaceyrayesmom

    Answer by jaceyrayesmom at 11:40 AM on Oct. 31, 2011

  • I would call the vet and tell them what was in the water to get their opinion.
    L0vingMy3Girls

    Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 11:44 AM on Oct. 31, 2011

  • In a mopping bucket 1/2 an inch of bleach and it was 1/2 filled with water. The vet told me to watch him and if he actsdifferent bring him in and to watch his pee and poop. Im just scared hes acting eating and drinking normal but they told me it could burn the lining of his stomach and anything it came in contact with! I never thought he would drink that or I would have put it up when I went to the bathroom.
    skinnyslokita

    Comment by skinnyslokita (original poster) at 11:45 AM on Oct. 31, 2011

  • 1 and 1/2 inches of bleach sorry
    skinnyslokita

    Comment by skinnyslokita (original poster) at 11:47 AM on Oct. 31, 2011

  • That's a LOT of bleach (a tablespoon in a gallon is enough to completely disinfect your floors). Did you check his mouth and throat for obvious burns? Otherwise, make sure he keeps drinking lots of water or chicken broth. Absolutely don't try to induce vomiting!!

    There are quite a few cats and dogs that for some reason are seriously attracted to bleach. I've had a few that would actually stalk the bleach bottle and lick it hoping for a few drops that I missed.
    Farmlady09

    Answer by Farmlady09 at 8:09 PM on Oct. 31, 2011

  • Yes Ive looked at his mouth 10 times an hour he seems to be doing fine I hope hes okay. Hes acting normal eating normal bathroom behavior is good so hopefully everything's okay. Ive never heard of dogs being attracted to bleach I find that so odd.

    skinnyslokita

    Comment by skinnyslokita (original poster) at 8:59 PM on Oct. 31, 2011

  • You would have noticed burns within the first few minutes, so if you haven't seen any so far, he should be ok as far as his mouth goes. Try and keep some light food and plenty of liquids in him for the night to keep everything diluted well.

    It may not have been the bleach that attracted him. Dogs smell things we can't and it could have been almost anything that you mopped up. Mine have eaten batteries (after chewing apart a small toy), permanent markers, several couches, porch spindles ... pretty much anything over the past 20 years. There's no accounting for their tastes!
    Farmlady09

    Answer by Farmlady09 at 12:55 AM on Nov. 1, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN