Stupidest thing doc or nurse has told you?

Has a nurse or doctor ever said something so idiotic to you that you just wanted to smack them? My first prenatal visit ever. First pregnancy, everything is new and exciting and scary. The nurse comes in, flipping through my paperwork. She smiles at me and says, "Well, you've got an STD do ya?" DH and I are like WHAT?! First of all, not as far as I know, secondly, is that how you break the news?! LMAO turns out she meant the pregnancy. Get it? Pregnancy=STD because...ah forget it, I didn't find it funny either!! Based on the look on our faces, I doubt she'll use that joke again!! :-)

mamma84

Asked by mamma84 at 4:36 PM on Jan. 6, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I was getting ready for surgery and before the anesthesiologist put me to sleep he was hooking me up to the monitors for my heart, pulse, and respirations. He's looking at his machines after I was all hooked up and then I hear him shaking one of his machines. Then he says real low, but loud enough so I could hear him, "Uh oh, that's not good!"
    I was like, what the heck! So I asked him if everything was all right. He looks at me with a blank expression and then it dawned on him that I heard him and he laughed. He said he forgot to plug one of his monitors in.
    I wanted to knock his teeth out. Jeesh!!!
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 7:57 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• The nurse was in the hospital was checking to see how far dilated I was and said "your about the size of the inside of a cheerio"...... and the doctor had just told me I was almost 2 centimeters. I got extremely mad. And what the heck!??! the inside of a cheerio?
    Zacherysmommy08

Answer by Zacherysmommy08 at 4:39 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Apparently my DD due date was the day before pot day. The nurse filling in for my regular nurse said you should wait a day to have her and you could have her on pot day. I was like WTH????? Do you celebrate this? Not her but her kids! My word!
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 4:47 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• oh yeah, I had a problem in one of my pregnancies - everything was ok after all but I received a letter no phone call no office visit - saying that if the pregnancy continued I would likely go into shock and die duriing delivery!!! #*($#*@(#*$* WTF????!!!! Then the assinine dr. later realized that the lab calculated my test results totally wrong. Since then I advocate for myself and my family and I read all test results myself getting copies from labs and research everything. An rn friend told me to never never assume doctors are right, to always confirm and get other opinions.
    Anonymous

• I once got a sewing machine needle stuck in my finger, right through the fingernail but not completely through the finger. I was barely able to remove the needle from the machine, but did and went to the emergency room with it still sticking in my finger. When I approached the desk, the nurse asked me what I did (she should've realized w/out explanation seeing the needle sticking up) and then proceeded to ask me "Does it hurt?"
    PSMother

Answer by PSMother at 4:53 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• After I tore pretty much all the way through during delivery, the doctor insisted I was still numb from the epi, which I kept saying it has wore off, but instead of listening to me, he kept poking me and saying " can you feel this ?" etc..and my answer was of course yes...3 times. Then he started to sew and I was like " I can feel that," finally he believed me.

I just thought it was stupid he kept insisting I could not feel, when I could ? ? ?

J9Mommy

Answer by J9Mommy at 4:54 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• I went in to see the doctor because I KNEW I hada a UTI anyway the doc says do you want to take a preg test as well because sometimes UTI and pregnancy goes hand and hand...so I said sure..anyway like 15 minutes later he walks in the room and says real loud with the door STILL open "congragulations" *pause* "you have a UTI" what a dolt lol
    Anonymous

• I had to see my cardiologist during my pregnancies (I have MVP)...I had already canceled one appointment because they thought they were going to have to induce me..they didn't and I went in the following week.

He walks in and starts berating me about my weight!! I looked at him and said, "I'm pregnant!" (yes, I was very overweight) Without missing a beat he said, "Again? Already?"
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 4:58 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Yes that has happened. When I was in the hospital after having my son, the nurse was ramling on about how paranoid she was about her daughter dying of SIDS! HELLO!! Do you think that I actually want to talk about that after having a new baby?
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 5:46 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• i was 6 mos preg and knew i had a uti. a male nurse comes in to assist me, doesnt look at my chart and asks if there was any way i could be pregnant. i wanted to say no shit dumbass! cant you tell?
    Rebekahs_Mommy

Answer by Rebekahs_Mommy at 6:00 PM on Jan. 6, 2009