need idea s for a cheap but not to cheap wedding!

looking for advice on how to put a wedding together on a very tight income !

shreveskids

Asked by shreveskids at 4:38 PM on Jan. 6, 2009 in About CafeMom

• You can have a very nice wedding on a budget. It depends on what your budget is to decide how much you need to do yourself. We just had a gorgeous fall wedding for my son in Nov. It looked like a 10,000 dollar wedding but it cost me less than half that.
    My nephew was married 3 years ago. A very pretty wedding, not cheap looking and it cost about 600 dollars.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 4:47 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• walmart has a nice selection of wedding stuff located in the craft section...DIY is always the cheapest way to go...as for dinner you could always have a pot luck or simply only have finger foods and not a huge meal...for a dress think second hand or rentals...ask bridesmaids to buy there own dress but let them pick it out themselvs as long as it matches your color schem..good luck message me if you want some more info..
    connorsmom22607

Answer by connorsmom22607 at 4:47 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Have a nice venue booked so you don't have to over decorate with flowers etc. Use a place that will let you have the ceremony and the reception there.
    Apr1l

Answer by Apr1l at 4:52 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• You can have a BEAUTIFUL low budget wedding, by first selecting a nice location...let your location set the mood/theme--a beach, a garden/park in full bloom or peak foliage, near a river/creek or hilltop with beautiful views, etc. That would likely be free or only require a small permit fee to reserve the spot or to allow alcohol (check local city or state/parks offices for restrictions/permits.

Continued
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 4:58 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Hire a Justice Of The Peace who is willing to travel to your location to perform the ceremony.

Make bouquets out of wildflowers or silk flowers tied with long pieces of ribbon

Buy your dress at David's Bridal $99 special dress sales...TONS to choose from!

Have a larger local deli (wherever you will be having the ceremony) cater your event...they can make it as grand or as simple as you'd like with hot and cold main dishes and appetizers. Buy beer/wine/soda in bulk at a state liquor store.

Wrap small candles, potpourri, soaps in tulle or lace bags (available at craft stores) to give as favors.

Print your own invitations and/or wedding programs (Office supply company)

Only invite those people YOU and YOUR FIANCEE really want to attend--don't feel like you need to feed and accommodate people you haven't seen in 10+ years!
    LoriKeet

• Try an outside wedding. My and my husband got married in the gazebo in the square with the fountain in front of us. It was beautiful and it was free. Also consider an afternoon wedding and just offer cake reception. Cutting out the food really cuts down on the budget.
    maddiemygirl

Answer by maddiemygirl at 5:09 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• I had my wedding in our local community center and afterwards we had the reception in the same place. we had a relative who knew a pastor and we just gave him what we could afford, the girls paid for there dresses and picked them out, I had a potluck and that turned out very nice and my mother-n-law bought 2 sheet cakes from walmart, who needs that fancy stuff it's going to get eatin anyway! I knew a friend who was our DJ and my great aunt made all the table decorations and everything, find someone who is creative and let them run with it. We spent $1500 maybe and it was great! I did know a lot of people so it is good to have friends in low places, but ask your friends they might have friends and my moms cousin who is a professional photographer took our wedding pics for a gift to us. I would love to help, look on craigslist.org and you might find a wedding dress

determind

Answer by determind at 5:15 PM on Jan. 6, 2009