breastfeeding question!

it seems as if my DD is perm attatched to my breast. She is a month old and its like she needs to nurse every 1/2 hour to hour or so. she will fuss until i hold her. and then she will frantically root around till i give her what she wants. i know im making enough, i leak buckets when shes nursing. but is this normal?

Rebekahs_Mommy

Asked by Rebekahs_Mommy at 5:04 PM on Jan. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Don't doubt your supply. If you see 4-6 wet diapers a day, your baby is getting enough, and you do not have supply problems. Nursing every half an hour is NORMAL NORMAL NORMAL for newborns!
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:08 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• i was leaking alot too but still didnt have enough milk. i had to 1/2 breastfeed 1/2 formula feed our daughter.

im not a doctor, but i think she is just not getting stuffed from the brest, when she needs it ever 1/2 hour.
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 5:07 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• 100% normal. She was IN you for 9 months, so it's natural she wants to be as close as possible as often as possible. Nursing is more then food, it is comfort as well.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:07 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• LOL My son does that. Well he's better about it now. But at about 4-6 weeks he was on my boob every 30 min. i don't know why but he was! so i gave him what he wanted lol
    Zacherysmommy08

Answer by Zacherysmommy08 at 5:07 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Yes, they nurse constantly the first two months. I would just feed her when she seems to want to eat! If you're shy, invest in a good cover up and you can get on with some parts of your day!
    MommyJanelle

Answer by MommyJanelle at 5:09 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• She's still a tiny newborn now matter how how her birthweight was. Remember she can't get nourishment from your placenta anymore, it's got to come from outside you. If she's not lost any weight since coming home from the hospital then she's ok and just needs the food and comfort of sucking. After a feeding will she take a binky for the sucking?
    Anonymous

• Sucking comforts the baby. It will get easier, stick with it. They say pacifiers cause nipple confusion but I didn't have a problem with it. I would use the boppy pillow to let her nurse. She would fall asleep at the boob, wake up and start eating again. Just start tivoing some good shows.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 5:10 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• It's totally normal.....Just get comfortable in a recliner with a good book, blanket and glass of water/juice. It may seem like a long time, but these first 4-6 weeks are going to fly by. I agree with the above answer about using a boppy pillow. It keeps the baby up at the perfect level and keeps your back and neck from cramping up. Keep at it....you are doing what is best for your little girl.
    Kimx3babies

Answer by Kimx3babies at 5:18 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• How is her weight gain? If it's a growth spurt, ti's still not necessarily good to feed every half hour. My dd was not gaining weight right an my doc said not to feed her less than 1.5 hours apart b/c she was actually using more entry trying to feed than the calories she was eating. If she gaining well, it mgiht just be a growth spurt. I'd ask your doc what he thinks about the 1/2 hour feeding since it might actually be hurting baby. Every kids is different and she could be eating a lot of a calories and just growing! :) Also, it's possible she just wants to suck. Have you tried a pacifier?
    Anonymous

• sorry, "using more ENERGY" not "using more entry"
    Anonymous