Etiquette for baby #2 shower?

My mother-in-law insists on throwing me a shower for baby #2. Not only is it the #2 kiddo, but same sex as #1. How tacky would it be to have a shower? I am thankful for her thoughtfulness, but really, I can't have one, can I?

HappyMomma219

Asked by HappyMomma219 at 5:15 PM on Jan. 6, 2009 in Pregnancy

• If it is several years apart and you don't have some of the things you did then I think it's ok.
    Anonymous

• First is 3...so not too far apart! I don't need anything really, not that I wouldn't mind new stuff! :)
    HappyMomma219

Answer by HappyMomma219 at 5:22 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• We had a shower for my friends it was their 3rd child.....needless to say a mistake but their youngest at the time was 3 and since they werent planning on having another didnt have anything. So we just all got together and got them things they would need instead of the useless things you may get at a 1st shower. (stroller, swing, baby clothes, etc..) but its not a bad idea. If the helps there why not take it. unless you just had a child. butif they are far apart it makes sense
    karliesmom0506

Answer by karliesmom0506 at 5:22 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• My sister had a baby shower for both her girls and they are around 2 years apart. I wish I would have had a baby shower for my second. I have a boy and a girl.
    kimikylemama

Answer by kimikylemama at 5:22 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• I think that if she wants to do it, let her. After going through the same thing myself. I didnt want one because I personally dont like being the center of attention. But I love to attend them! So if you want one, go for it!
    Newcreature584

Answer by Newcreature584 at 5:29 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• if you look at most etiquette books or sites... baby showers for subsequent babies... it's perfectly okay to do so! every baby should be celebrated. i'm not sure that i would register for a second baby... but a shower is okay!
    abelsmama07

Answer by abelsmama07 at 5:44 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Etiquette schmetiquette, do we live in the 18th century or something? Who would pass that kind of judgement on someone anyway? I am having a shower for number two, same gender, 3 years apart, showers aren't always about recieving gifts either! Celebrate baby and if your friends and family want to bring something for the baby, let them. No one is twisting their arm....
    Anonymous

• If it makes her feel good to do it, I see no harm. She probably just wants to show you that she cares and wants to be involved. Tell her to put something in the invitations about gifts not being neccessary, but if the WANT to bring something, make it something like a dish for the party, or bottles or diapers, nothing big. As I read in a couple of the other answers, it's about the baby, not the gifts. Maybe to make it seem more like that, ask her to have the shower after the baby arrives.
    crazybeautifulh

Answer by crazybeautifulh at 5:53 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• If someone wants to give you a shower then I say have it!
    sheena696

Answer by sheena696 at 5:55 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• I know this is the newest thing to do, having multiple showers, but I think they are so tacky. I was just invited to one when my SIL was pregnant with her 4th baby and her oldest is only 4.5 years old. She had a shower with her first, and has gotten more stuff over the years with her other births. I bought her diapers and wipes since I was going to buy those anyway when the baby was born.

If it's just a party to get together, then that is one thing. But does your mom want you to register again? This baby stuff is expensive and I know, as a guest, I would be thinking "Why do I need to buy this again?" ... ya know?
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 6:35 PM on Jan. 6, 2009