How do you get your husband to stop swearing so much around their son?

My teenage son's vocabulary is atrocious! I was not raised this way and the anger that is behind his words is scary. But my husband continues to talk that way also and I can't get it across to him to stop and think before speaking. Angry or not. How does one parent discipline when the other doesn't care? We can only be harming our son further by continuing this marriage and I have lost all respect and love for my husband due to his own immature behaviors. Starting to think Divorce Court is the only option but is that really what we want to show our son? Totally stuck on this one!!!

Squirrel1001

Asked by Squirrel1001 at 5:23 PM on Jan. 6, 2009 in Relationships

• I don't think divorce will solve the problem. Your son is still going to want to be spending time with his dad. If they both know how you feel about it, probably the best thing you can do is to stop nagging them about it. If I were in your shoes, I would be praying to Almighty God to convict them both of what they are doing. He has the power to make them stop. Unfortunately, you don't.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 5:29 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Follow up--I have prayed like you can't imagine. As to nagging, I no longer even try as my hubby only becomes more upset and more verbally abusive to me. As to my son, I merely say "words", as he knows that I don't approve and that I am reminding him of the use of respect. He knows and slows down sometimes, but it's kind of hard when you hear Dad in the background using the same words. I'll keep trying.
    Squirrel1001

Answer by Squirrel1001 at 5:51 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• If you can, tape your husband, and show him how he sounds. As for your son, you know he is going to do it when he isn't around you, so just tell him if he does, he is in trouble. I know teens cuss and my daughter does too if she gets upset, but, she knows NOT to cuss or use cuss words towards me.Wonder what it is about being a teen and cussing makes them feel older?(another stoory) I also tell my daughter if she cusses and asks me something in the same breath that I can't hear her and then it changes quick. I don't like it at all.Sometimes ignoring someone will change the way that they speak also, including your husband.
    Kat122

Answer by Kat122 at 5:58 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• ignoring can work, but make sure you can tolerate it while ignoring. i think some family counseling is definitely needed. i told hubby the other day if he calls me a select name, it is over no question about it...i refuse to put up with that kind of talk.
    m4m4

Answer by m4m4 at 8:23 PM on Jan. 6, 2009