When do you stop "taking" trick or treaters? I just got kind of mad!

We shut the porch light off at nine, and about 9:30 bang bang at the door,, I opened it and said,, hang on a minute,, I put the candy away,, as I turned to get it the teenager opened the door and started to come into my house,, I said you all wait out side I will get the candy,, anyway gave it to them, and I heard on of them remark,, what a bitch!
First of all IMO these boys were too old to be trick or treating, and it was past the time I felt trick or treaters, should be out,, and the fact he tried to "barge"into my home,, I didn't want any scuffle with them,, so I just went and got the candy,, but What do you think,, How old is too old, and How late is too late?

kimigogo

Asked by kimigogo at 10:46 PM on Oct. 31, 2011 in Holidays

• Don't answer the door!! Or TELL them you are out of candy,especially if it is after trick or treat times. I would have threatened with the cops if someone came into my house.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:47 PM on Oct. 31, 2011

• i don't care what age they are..but once the light is out, its over. that's a universal law, everyone knows it..some are just stupid.
    i just don't bother with the door, though, once i'm done. if i'm handing candy out, i don't usually go past 9pm.
    piss on them, kimi!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:48 PM on Oct. 31, 2011

• I wouldn't have answered the door if my light was off. I also have a big dog who would have scared the living daylights out of anyone who did that.

It's not even 9 here and we haven't had anyone since about 8. I haven't even turned off the light yet. It's been a light year. Yay, more candy for me to expand my horizons with. lol..
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 10:49 PM on Oct. 31, 2011

• 9pm or when we run out of candy. I don't answer the door after that
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 10:49 PM on Oct. 31, 2011

• everywhere i've ever been did trick or treating till 12. but if the lights are off that means dont go there everyone knows that.
    2breath2live

Answer by 2breath2live at 10:51 PM on Oct. 31, 2011

• They would have either met my dog or my Glock. When trick or treating, you stand OUTSIDE. I wouldn't have given them any candy either. Smarmy little bastards.

We didn't turn ours on this year. The only candy we gave out was to our niece's daughter b/c she is our favorite. =)
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 10:55 PM on Oct. 31, 2011

• there was a group of them, and DH was down in the basement,, so I almost thought by the loud BANG BANG, it was our neighbor,, and there was a large group of them,, I didn't want them to come back later an lord who knows what,, i thought offering to get the candy was nice, but whe he opened the screen door,, I did get pretty nasty,, but really why do they think that is okay to do,, they were all in the 14-16 range..
    kimigogo

Comment by kimigogo (original poster) at 10:55 PM on Oct. 31, 2011

• That's insane! I'm with SpiritedWitch, I'd have met them at the door with my gun... or at least that lovely Bowie hunting knife dh is so fond of. You just don't do that kind of thing, kids that age should know better. I don't much like older kids trick-or-treating anyway (though I understand some kids just never grow out of it, and that's cool), but if you're going to trick-or-treat that late, please respect the common sense rules for trick-or-treating. Don't go to houses whose porch lights are off, stand politely on the porch and without blocking the door when someone does answer, and always say thank you. Sheesh, this is why I'm beginning to hate Halloween....
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 11:09 PM on Oct. 31, 2011

• For me it isn't an age thing-or a time thing really-if I'm done I jsut either answer and say I'm done- or don't answer the door

As for them coming in- I would be annoyed with that if I hadn't told them to come in
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 11:44 PM on Oct. 31, 2011

• When I am done, I turn off the porch light. If someone DARES come to my door after that I answer and ask what part of the porch light is off that they don't understand. Last year, I stopped at around 9 pm, I turned off the porch light and wrote a note and stuck it on the door saying "porch light is off because I am no longer taking trick or treaters".
    Anonymous