what are the first things i have to buy for baby if im not having a baby shower?

the thing is im gonna be a first time mom and i have really no idea of what to buy first? or if anyone has a list of items a baby needs?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:29 PM on Jan. 6, 2009 in Pregnancy

• You will definitely need an infant carseat because the hospital will not let the baby leave without one! You will want diapers of course and some clothes. Getting a carseat was like my first priority though. You can google what to buy and get a ton of lists.
    AlliO2

Answer by AlliO2 at 5:35 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Of course, car seat, diapers, wipes, bottles, lotion, shampoo, soap, clothes...Gosh, I know sooo many more, but I'm drawing a blank right now. I haven't had to think of it in 5 years. Ummm. My daughter loved her swing, if that is in the budget. Somewhere for the baby to sleep- playpen, bassinet, crib. Sorry, I'm being so obvious. I just thought I had more of an answer. If I'm having another I should start thinking of all this again.
    crazybeautifulh

Answer by crazybeautifulh at 5:35 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• This is my second time and I had to google "newborn necessity list" to remember the things I will need. Newborns really don't need alot, so don't think you have to go overboard, alot of things can wait.
    amber1216

Answer by amber1216 at 5:38 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Crib, crib sheets, blankets, comforter, carseat, swing, bouncer, clothes, diapers, wipes, desitin, bottles if you plan to use them, spit up towels or cloth diapers can be used, baby bath, bath lotion, soap, infant Tylenol, a baby book, digital camera bc you will want/need one, playpen, bassinet, and mobile.

Answer by gemgem at 5:39 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Not saying that this is all you should get, but the BARE BASICS: Carseat so you can go home. Diapers. Some kind of clothing, feet coverings. Couple of light blankets. Bottles and formula if not breastfeeding. Thermometer. Those are the have to haves. Other things are nice conveniences and luxuries, you can improvise on some of them if $$ is tight.
    mama_k228

Answer by mama_k228 at 6:00 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Definitely a carseat. I don't think you'll be able to leave the hospital if you don't have one.

Other than that, a crib would a nice necessity to have, but if you're tight on cash, then maybe you could get away with using a Pack 'N Play.

Obviously clothes & bath stuff (shampoo, lotion, etc).

Other than the carseat, then I can't think of too many MUST HAVE's other than clothes.
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 6:19 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Carseat, diapers, wipes, basic clothing, blankets...you'll definitely need those the day baby comes home. You can get a lot of other things as time goes by. I'd look at a registry checklist from Target or Babies 'R Us or something and see what they recommend. You should be able to tell what's absolutely necessary right away and what's not. Your hospital may give you a lot of things as well, I'd ask them what you can expect to take home with you. I got diapers, wipes, a diaper bag, some bottles and formula samples (even though I was breasfteeding), a wash basin and baby soap, and a few other things...eveyr hospital is different, though...
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 6:23 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Carseat, baby blankets, bed for baby(crib, bassinett, cradle) w/sheets, bottles (for formula feed baby), bottle brush, formula, newborn diapers, wipes, diaper creme, scratch mittens, hats, socks, onsies, PJ's, baby first aid kit w/ thermometer & nail clippers, baby bathtub, baby shampoo, Dreft infant laundry detergent & stroller....Secondary items are playpen, swing, bouncer seat, baby toys, mobile, crib sets, mobile etc. Thats all I can think of.....Happy shopping : )
    litstargazer

Answer by litstargazer at 6:25 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• A baby sling! www.babyslings.com www.hotslings.com
    Boppy pillow
    Breast feeding pads for your boobs. :) They have cloth ones that you can reuse
    Seventh Generation laundry detergant or any other ALL NATURAL laundry product.
    Organic/all natural baby shampoo

also, check out these sites. www.fluoridealert.org and www.thinktwice.com
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 8:04 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Carseat, diapers, and a few clothes according to where you live (not a ton, you don't know for sure what size you'll need. A lot of things will depend on how you decide to do things (crib or bed share? Bathe in tub or sink? Cloth or disposable diapers? Breast or bottle feed?). You'll figure out a lot of it as you go. Definitely recommend washing everything before using it, using detergent that has no perfumes or dyes (I use All Free and Clear), and no dryer sheets or fabric softener (can cause rash). It's really easy to go overboard, so just see what you need as you need it. Good luck! =)
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 10:12 PM on Jan. 6, 2009